This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

welding

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Roraback
10+ Years
10+ Years

welding

Postby Bob Roraback » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:43 pm

After calling a couple of the new parts distributors to locate a new head and pittman straps for my mower I decided to repair it myself. I had 5/8" of travel in the socket, which was setting up a nasty vibration in my tractor when mowing. ( Yes, the clamp was closed). I foung that the wear was about 60 /40 with the most wear in the straps.I welded a buildup in the head and the straps with 7024 welding wire at about 75 amps which really laid on a smooth buildup and did a nice job. After some grinding and shaping of the head and straps I have the play in the socket down to nothing. I dont know if I have done any harm as far as overheating of the parts with welding but I am going to mount them tomorrow and try them out. I will post the results if anybody is interested and I would like to hear from anyone who has attempted a similar fix. Bob Roraback

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:28 pm

Bob, you couldn't have done any harm, cause they were no good as they were! :lol: Put a good dollup of grease on the ball before you close the clamp on it. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Return to “Farmall Cub”