Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:03 pm

That regulator must be buzzing like a doorbell!

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:32 pm

I am still leaning towards the regulator. The voltages and other behavior you are seeing seem pretty reasonable for a grounded field. The 22 amp reading would be way to high for a grounded cut-out type system and illustrates why a voltage regulator is required for the higher output generators.

When you bring the voltage regulator into play is when things are going crazy. It looks to me like the voltage control is the problem.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:04 am

Thanks Jim. Well it's back to NAPA for another regulator. I hate to say it but the one I am having a problem with is brand new, kind of the reason for me ruling it out. But it wouldn't be the first time that when you buy something new it comes out of the box broke(ARRGHHH!) :censored: . They just don't make things like they use to(reason for buying the CUB). Thanks for all the quick responses to all. I'll keep posted next week to see how I make out.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:34 am

Jim Becker, Bigdog,
If one or both of you have the correct part # from napa please
post it Alwaysoily.
Napa has 2 regs. that they sell for the cub Super A and some of the other farmalls.
The computer says they all use the same reg.
If they go to the book (the old way) it has 2 diff regs listed.
One is for the cub pos. ground the other is for the rest neg. ground.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:39 am

I'm no regulator expert, but even I am smart enough to know that the pos. ground (6 volts), and the neg. ground (12 volt) won't interchange. Because of the voltage as much or more than the ground type.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:04 am

Dale,
I just looked in my Echlin book and it states as follows
gen# reg#
1101355, 423 6V VR850 requires resistor package VR800
1100501 6V VR851
1100531 6V VR851
1100055 6V N/A
1100401 12V VR898
1101693 12V VR897

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:05 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I'm no regulator expert, but even I am smart enough to know that the pos. ground (6 volts), and the neg. ground (12 volt) won't interchange. Because of the voltage as much or more than the ground type.


This is part of what I'm trying to say john.
Napa's computer is screwed up.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:09 am

rondellh wrote:Dale,
I just looked in my Echlin book and it states as follows
gen# reg#
1101355, 423 6V VR850 requires resistor package VR800
1100501 6V VR851
1100531 6V VR851
1100055 6V N/A
1100401 12V VR898
1101693 12V VR897


Thankyou rondellh
The book is right the computer is wrong.
The computer also crosses the VR851 for gen #1100055.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:30 am

Dale51 wrote:Jim Becker, Bigdog,
If one or both of you have the correct part # from napa please
post it Alwaysoily.
Napa has 2 regs. that they sell for the cub Super A and some of the other farmalls.
The computer says they all use the same reg.
If they go to the book (the old way) it has 2 diff regs listed.
One is for the cub pos. ground the other is for the rest neg. ground.


Dale51 and Rondellh have you covered above. If you still have the old regulator, you should be able to confirm an original number from it. Like Jim Becker said, you likely have a regulator problem. Either the wrong one or a defective new one.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 am

Just one more quick question. Is there any possible way to check with a meter or anything else that a regulator is defective, other than hooking it up and seeing what you have? What I mean is when you take it out of the box and before you install. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but being an electrician I'm starting to feel a little frustrated. This just ain't BWL"Black and White make Light"!!!

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:15 am

Oily - Take a look at the article at this link. It explains what is going on. You can't just measure values with an ohmmeter and determine good or bad.

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint29.htm

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:09 pm

It would be possible to bench test a regulator but few people would have the test equipment. Basicly you would need to feed voltage to the GEN terminal and while gradually increasing the voltage verify the contacts closing/opening at the right voltages.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:53 pm

If it were not for obsolete equipt I would not have any.
Image

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:29 pm

Neat!

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:57 pm

Jim.
Thats not obsolete thats vintage! I would love to have one like it for my shop. I trust it more than the modern mystery box testers that are available today.
Rondell