VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:45 pm

I guess there's a lot of electrical proplems going around! It's my turn I suppose !!

For a good 2 years or so now I've given my regulator a little 'rap' on the side to get the ammeter needle to show a charge. That has ceased to work anymore.

What is the best brand/source for new regulators?? Approx. cost??

I have a 1957 Loboy with distributor ignition.

I've been hooking the charger up to it from time to time and starting it with the hand crank to conserve battery power but that's gettin old if ya now what I mean.....besides, cold weather will be here soon and I'm sure it won't fire up on the first pull either......brrrrrrrrrrr

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:15 pm

Marion, if you have no IH dealer close, you can try NAPA or similar place or perhaps Carter & Gruenewald or this place:
http://www.the-co.com/Parts/electrical/regulators.php?echo%20$PHP_SELF?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:34 pm

Marion, take the cover off your regulator and use an ignition point file to touch up the contact points.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:00 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Marion, take the cover off your regulator and use an ignition point file to touch up the contact points.

If you do this, be sure to THOROUGHLY clean the points after the filing. Any loose metal particles will cause rapid burning (especially the VR contacts).

A less aggeressive approach you could try first would be to try cleaning them with kraft paper (grocery sack material).