Degreasing

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 am

Is it safe to degrease the engine while installed in the tractor? Is there anything besides the obvious electrical components that should be wrapped in plastic? This may really be stupid but is it safe to have water near the spark plugs? could it leak into the engine? Sorry for the ridiculous questions, just want to be sure, Bob

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:40 am

Bob, covering the electrical components should be sufficient. (generator, mag, distributor, regulator / cut-out etc.) Water should not pose a problem around the sparkplugs. Just blow out any excess with an air hose after you finish spraying the tractor.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:44 am

I covered my electrical stuff and then used oven-cleaner on mine then hosed it off. I had tried every degreaser on the market including the much bragged about (Castrol-Super-Clean) but the best is still the oven cleaner from the dollar store. Just dont breath it cause it is rough on the lungs for a few days I found out.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:14 am

The other thing to be careful about with the oven cleaner is to protect the aluminum data plates (serial number tag and tags on electical components). Oven cleaner will eat them up.

Steam...

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:25 pm

I plan on using a steam generator - any precautions?

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:41 pm

Don't burn yourself :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Steam...

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:48 pm

allenlook wrote:I plan on using a steam generator - any precautions?
Remove your wiring first. If it's too hot I've seen the insulation ruined, especially of it's cloth covered.

Good one.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:02 pm

Don't burn myself - good one :D:D:D

Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:27 pm

Sorry,

I'm waiting for paint to dry and got bored :wink: :lol: :? 8) :shock: :roll:

Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:45 pm

Donny M wrote:Sorry,

I'm waiting for paint to dry and got bored :wink: :lol: :? 8) :shock: :roll:

:twisted: Donny, You should have used RED paint. That GREEN paint takes forever to dry. :twisted:

Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:00 pm

The only thing green around here is the grass. I had some green in my wallet yesterday, I gave it to Case IH and now it's red...I like red :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: