HyTran in the rear end too? What about the steering box?

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm

This is sorta related to my other 'many questions' post, but a little more specific.
The chart at the Case/IH dealer said to use HyTran in the rear end, so instead of getting a gallon of gear oil I got two of HyTran.
Is that correct??
Also what about the steering box?
Is this the miracle one lube answer???
I am awaiting the wiring harness and will start on the hydraulic pump and rear end tomorrow, along with the radiator.
Thanks!

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:14 pm

I think the later model Cubs used Hy-Trans in the tranny but doubt you would use it in the steering box. I use 90-weight in almost everything but the engine.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:53 am

It will work but will be more prone to leaking.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:50 am

Found that I had printed a lube chart from somewhere and it said gear lube or Hy-Tran. The gear lube to use was dependent on the temps (80 or 90 wt).

Since I went all the way to Maine to get the Hy-Tran I think I will give it a try. I bought 2 gallons and only have a little gear lube around the garage, two different brands no less!

The chart indicates some special stuff for the steering box, so I may just skip that for now.

Actually, I was in Maine anyway and saw it as a good chance to visit a couple of dealers and poke around the lots and gather some knowledge. Even saw a dual rear wheel cub at Waterman's!