Oil pan leaks

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Oil pan leaks

Postby ScottyG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:56 pm

Does anyone have a simple fix for oil pan seeps around a brand new gasket? I thought I put enough gasket goo on the cork gasket before installing but there are oil seeps around the bolt heads. When the bolts were tightened down, the gasket bulges in those places which is where the oil is coming from.
ScottyG
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:04 pm

You probably need to straighten the edges. Take it off and get a wooden block to rest it on and using a hammer drive it back down level around the bolt holes.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:02 pm

is there anyone making neoprene pan gaskets"

Thanks
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

Oil pan

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:48 am

John,

I've got mine off right now, and I'm going to work on it today...

How good is good enough? Mine appears to be straight, but it has a little roughness and pitting around the outside of the gasket edge. The previous gasket that was on there leaked a ton of oil, even out the back side and down into the clutch housing...

Should I be using goo, or just polishing up the surfaces with 0000 steel wool or something like that and using the new gasket - dry or with a light coat of new oil on it...?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 12020

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:55 am

The main thing is to make sure it is straight, with no high spots around the bolts, etc. When I put my 48 together aobut 17 years ago I used gasket sealer on the pan side, but not on the block side. May not have needed it, but it has been there ever since.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby artc » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:42 pm

just to add to what John said....

the most important thing is to bang the pan back into shape. i put ithem on the concrete floor and use a small ball peen hammer, then i put silicone on both surfaces (but don't be sloppy), being certain they are clean and oil free. do NOT overtighten the bolts on reinstallation, they will simply bend the pan and bulge the gasket again.
have fun with the 3 in the back :)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org
artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: 1950 cubs (3), 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial.1948 super AI (trailer queen), 1958 450.

Postby ScottyG » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:57 pm

So while we're on the subject with the three in the back, what kind of tool do you guys use soe that you don't need to split the tractor? Is there something jointed that you'd recommend or do you use the screwdriver/box wrench thingy that has alot of four letter words?
ScottyG
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:12 pm

Get a universal joint for your ratchet extension, or some of the companies are selling wobble extensions that have the shoulders where the sockets fit rounded so it can wobble around.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

3 in the back

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:01 am

I had to go buy a "universal joint" for my socket, I couldn't find mine, and "the three in the back" were covered in oil and 50 years of snot, and there was no way they were coming out without one.

My dad used to have a flexible "whip" about 4-6 inches long, sort of a super-duty gooseneck that was the best socket extension I've seen, but I can't find a new one anywhere (and Lord knows where his went.)

I *hate* losing tools... Usually happened when the significant other said "Oh, sure, he wouldn't mind if you borrowed his <whatever>", then I never see it again.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 12020

Postby ScottyG » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:12 pm

Mine just sticks it in a drawer but can never quite remember which one. Or worse yet... "I didn't know what it was so I put it away." Ok?! :cry:
ScottyG
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Return to Farmall Cub