Oil pan leaks

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:56 pm

Does anyone have a simple fix for oil pan seeps around a brand new gasket? I thought I put enough gasket goo on the cork gasket before installing but there are oil seeps around the bolt heads. When the bolts were tightened down, the gasket bulges in those places which is where the oil is coming from.

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:04 pm

You probably need to straighten the edges. Take it off and get a wooden block to rest it on and using a hammer drive it back down level around the bolt holes.

Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:02 pm

is there anyone making neoprene pan gaskets"


Oil pan

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:48 am


I've got mine off right now, and I'm going to work on it today...

How good is good enough? Mine appears to be straight, but it has a little roughness and pitting around the outside of the gasket edge. The previous gasket that was on there leaked a ton of oil, even out the back side and down into the clutch housing...

Should I be using goo, or just polishing up the surfaces with 0000 steel wool or something like that and using the new gasket - dry or with a light coat of new oil on it...?

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:55 am

The main thing is to make sure it is straight, with no high spots around the bolts, etc. When I put my 48 together aobut 17 years ago I used gasket sealer on the pan side, but not on the block side. May not have needed it, but it has been there ever since.

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:42 pm

just to add to what John said....

the most important thing is to bang the pan back into shape. i put ithem on the concrete floor and use a small ball peen hammer, then i put silicone on both surfaces (but don't be sloppy), being certain they are clean and oil free. do NOT overtighten the bolts on reinstallation, they will simply bend the pan and bulge the gasket again.
have fun with the 3 in the back :)

Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:57 pm

So while we're on the subject with the three in the back, what kind of tool do you guys use soe that you don't need to split the tractor? Is there something jointed that you'd recommend or do you use the screwdriver/box wrench thingy that has alot of four letter words?

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:12 pm

Get a universal joint for your ratchet extension, or some of the companies are selling wobble extensions that have the shoulders where the sockets fit rounded so it can wobble around.

3 in the back

Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:01 am

I had to go buy a "universal joint" for my socket, I couldn't find mine, and "the three in the back" were covered in oil and 50 years of snot, and there was no way they were coming out without one.

My dad used to have a flexible "whip" about 4-6 inches long, sort of a super-duty gooseneck that was the best socket extension I've seen, but I can't find a new one anywhere (and Lord knows where his went.)

I *hate* losing tools... Usually happened when the significant other said "Oh, sure, he wouldn't mind if you borrowed his <whatever>", then I never see it again.

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:12 pm

Mine just sticks it in a drawer but can never quite remember which one. Or worse yet... "I didn't know what it was so I put it away." Ok?! :cry: