Overheating. How much is too much

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:01 pm

Since I'm relatively new to the Cub world and don't yet know the ins and outs of them, is it pretty common for them to overheat? When I purchased "Henry," it was about 2 inches low in the antifreeze department. It had a slight leak at the time so I chalked it up to that. Now that I've serviced him, took the radiator off and flushed the heck out of it, refilled to the neck line, it will overheat at full speed after about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if this is normal and to let it slide since it doesn't seem to boil over when the antifreeze level is about 3 inches below.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:09 pm

scotty, it isn't overheating. The cub doesn't have a water pump, but has what is called a thermosyphon system. This type system involves a lot of expansion, and it will push excess water out until it gets about 2 to 2 1/2 inches below the filler neck, then it will stabilize.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:19 pm

Ahhh it's normal. One more thing to scratch off my list!!


Beat me to it...

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:58 am


I think I would have been asking the same question in a week or two, when everything's back together! I never would have thought it's supposed to spit out the excess...

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:32 pm

If you overfill your car it will do the same thing.

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:07 pm

Well, I guess this is why I should trust the Owner's Manual and add exactly 9 3/4 Qts instead of "hmmm that's funny, it didn't quite fill it!"