Pulley

Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:41 pm

is the pulley that is mounted with the sickle bar mower that connects the the pto with the v belt available new? My pulley has about 3/8" wobble in it and I am wondering if that would cause a vibration when running. Bob

Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:57 pm

Yes it is, but as stated in other posts, it runs about $75 new.

Big dog

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:02 pm

Do you think that the runout that I have is a problem or am I trying to make this mower something that it is not. Bob

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:11 pm

Bob the sickle bar mower operates best at about 1/2 to 3/4 speed. The pitman style mower inherently generates a lot of vibration and at full rpm can chatter your teeth. That sounds like a lot of pulley wobble and is probably causing undue wear on the pto bearings.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:26 pm

Bob, assuming you are referring to the pto pulley, and not the one on the sickle, you may have a problem with both the pulley and the pto being worn. My 48 has a used pto shaft on it that is worn so much that a pulley that clamps like the sickle mower or Mott pulley will not clamp down. I have a new shaft, just never have gotten around to putting it in.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:38 pm

John, I may have mis-read the post, but I assumed that the pulley was tight on the pto shaft but has a wobble or runout indicating that it was bent. (to me)

Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:20 pm

BD, I at first was thinking of the one on the mower, but since that's a screw on it would be difficult for it to wobble unless the shaft was bent, but after I thought about it I thought of the worn pulley hub and pto due to my own experience.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi Bob

Here's one you may want to watch.

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 23496&rd=1