Making Hay with my Cub

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 am

Want to hay about 5 acres. Equipment recommendations? Enough HP in the Cub? Thanks in advance.

Re: Making Hay with my Cub

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

I have mowed hay with Glenda but it puts a lot of strain on the old gal. As for raking and baling, you need more HP. My H does a much better job and is much faster.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 am

Hi Jonah!

As a person who likes to recommend the cub for just about any job, I have to agree with Dan R and say that haying is a tough one for a Cub. Cutting with the sickle mower isn't too much of a problem...they are good at that. It is tough on the tractor, yes, but doable. The Cub can also rake if the rake is the right size. As far as I know, there is no PTO driven rake that would work for it. Dump rakes or ground driven rakes with tedder wheels are available still that would work behind a cub to get the hay in windrows.

Baling is a totally different story. No way that a Cub will bale...PTO is all wrong, ground speed is wrong, not enough horsepower, no live pto...makes it not work. I saw someone in the past though who pulled a hay loader behind a hay wagon and got the hay in the wagon that way.

Overall, it is a pretty tough proposition with a cub for sure. A larger HP tractor, as Dan suggests, would be wise...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 am

When I was a kid, my father hayed about 5 acres, with a cub. Sickle bar to mow old dump rake, to rake. and picked up, loose, into a trailer. Later, we raked into reasonably straight windrows, and had a neighbor bale it. Ed

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:04 am

You will have a ball mowing hay with the Cub. It's very relaxing if the mower is set up and funtioning properly. You will be able to tow a side rake as long as the land is fairly level. I have done both with mine. If you are intending to bale the hay then you will need a larger tractor with a PTO.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 am

My baler requires over 40 h.p. and lots of the guys that cut hay around me have M's or big Deere's but my baler has a place for an auxillery Wisconsin engine and then maybe a Cub could cut, rake, and bale. But from my observatons most of the times I see tractors whizzing by to make ensilage or cut hay they have at least 3 or 4 tractors and several hay wagons to do the job. Chris

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 am

I've always wondered if a Cub could pull a 5-wheel Farmhand rake. I bet it could in 2nd gear.

Mowing with a 22 sickle bar doesn't require much power. It's the shaking that's hard on the tractor and operator.

To bale with a Cub you would definitely need a very small baler with its own engine, relatively level ground. Drop the bales on the ground and pick them up later.

IH made a 50T baler that is powered by a Cub engine. Older balers don't require that much power. I learned this when the park lock linkage fell apart on the 1066. Rather than risk the park lock dropping at random and tearing up the transmission, Dad hooked up the M and finished baling before it started raining. I thought I was going to have to give up the 756, but he said, "Naah! It doesn't take any power at all to run the baler!"

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:29 pm

I would not be afraid to do 5 acres with the cub
As Cecil mentioned mowing is not a problem and the side delivery rakes pulls well in second gear, Level ground is key though , any big ruts require 1 st gear .
Baling as mentioned larger tractors. If it requires PTO 40 HP .
May be able to work something out with a local farmer to bale it for some of the hay.
Really a great time on the Cub.
Check out You tube raking straw. It is me on our 49 raking straw with our newly restore side delivery rake.
Phil

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Here is Phil's rake in action!!

And Barnyard's Rake in action. (dump rake with a trip rope)

Looks fun to me!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:04 pm

now I want one of those! I've about 30 acres of marsh hay to have fun with

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:31 pm

This is how I make the hay in Virginia.
It's done with all ground driven implements being pulled by the cub.
Mark
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=646&pos=2
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=646&pos=0

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Jonah, As Cecil said, you will have a ball using your Cub to make hay.

Here is my Cub mowing weeds. While it isn't hay it is the same principle. I think I finally got it adjusted to reduce some of the clatter you hear in the video.

Here is a hay loader similar to the one Mark shows. Ditch the horses and add a Cub and you're all set.

I'd love to have a hay loader, but it wouldn't get used much around here.

Now, get busy and get those implements gathered for next summer's fun.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:42 pm

If you want to have fun making hay, get a cradle and some bundle forks. You will get
more exercise. Then use the cub to haul the hay to the barn on a ground slide.
You will never complain about the worst problem you will ever have with a cub or any implements again.
At least I will not.
Spencer

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:51 pm

It's been a long time since I saw a hay loader. I'm glad there are still some folks keeping them going. The neighbor used to put in loose hay I have seen a lot of hay put in a wagon with a hay loader. Then there were the hay forks in the barn that was used to unload the hay. All this was done with horses when I was a kid watching my neighbor.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Cecil wrote:Then there were the hay forks in the barn that was used to unload the hay.

Yep, one of these days I'll get up in the rafters with a rope and hang this dude from the pulley that is still up there.