This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wouldn't This Frost Your Heinie ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Wouldn't This Frost Your Heinie ?

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm

I thought I did my research properly, but I guess I didn't. While I was rebuilding all the things that I didn't like or didn't work on Ellie like the Genny, Cut-Out, (Momentary Switch), Fuel System Upgrade, Hydraulic Upgrade to my Cub-54 Grader Blade, I also decided to include an upgrade to the Touch Control Fill Port. It is normally a real PITB to fill it up and now since I have extra lines, I really need to add Touch Control Fluid. So, remembering that Jim had done a pretty good How To on How To Make A Touch Control Fill Port Adapter.... I did the searches, found the article and then went looking for a 7/8"-18NC thread adapter.

Took me a while and a bunch of stops but I finally found the adapter at K.G. Chase my Parker Fluids dealer. They found it - called out in the catalog as a 41IFS-10 Steel Nut.

41IFS-10 Inverted Flare Steel Nut $3.44Cdn apiece each. Ok.. that is cheap enough. Ordered 3 cause I have 3 Touch Control Reservoir Blocks.

Course then it has to be welded/silver soldered to a 1/2" NPT Male adapter

And Presto :!: we have an adapter that should fit the TC Reservoir Fill Port.

Or so I thought.

Seems that the Fill Port Threads on Ellie's reservoir are not exactly 7/8/-18 but are actually 3/4" NPT :big say what:

Now the parts are no big deal ok..... but I had to order them, that took the better part of a week. Then we had to wait while DHL ran around town with the fittings in the truck for 2 days. Once KG Chase got the fittings, half hour later they were ready. Now mind you the 1/2" NPT Nut was supposed to be 1/2" Female so I could just thread in a 3" nipple if needed.. but oh well no big deal. What hurts is the Silver Solder charge and the Half Hour Labour. All in all these 3 fittings ended up costing $60.00Cdn.

Too bad it was for nothing. :big give up:. Hopefully one of the other 2 TC units I have will require these fittings. If not.. I guess :eBay: eventually :oops: :roll: :arrow: :lol:

I will redo the project with the following parts. Hopefully that will end up better and will be much cheaper than what I now have.

BI-110-ED 3/4 IPS x 1/2 IPS

BI-113-D3 1/2 IPS x 3 Inches Long

BI-124-E 3/4 IPS - Male to Female

BI-109-E 3/4 IPS

I figure I should have no more than about $5.00 or $6.00 into after that. :D

Live and Learn :!: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Wouldn't This Frost Your Heinie ?

Postby beaconlight » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Here I thought you had 6 foot of snow and -40F
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I just took the big,"horse vaccination" syringe I got TSC and attached about 6" of clear plastic tube. Also work good for filling final drives.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I save those old squirt bottles from the 90wt gear oil and fill one with hydraulic fluid. The plastic quart bottles.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Boy Rudi, they really feel your pain don't they... Good luck, hope things work out. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:28 pm

If we could just get people to READ the how-tos.
Jim Becker wrote:Some Touch-Control filler plugs are pipe thread and are easy to connect a return line to. Others have a hex headed plug with straight threads that requires an odd adapter.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm

I am 100% responsible for my boo-boo. I thought that was pretty clear. I assumed that it was going to be the 7/8" thread size and I did not check it. Either way, it was still a good project to do.. I had fun, probably gonna end up using one or two IF I am lucky. IF not, I have stock in case some one needs one at some point. Could be a nice door prize at my next CubFest :idea: :arrow: :P

As I said.. I thought I had done my research properly.. I obviously missed the pipe thread comment..

And I have a good sense of humour and a thick skin.. so it's all ok by me. Should have it finished tomorrow.

Oh.. I have those cute bendable clear plastic hose type funnels.. don't work very well. :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 am

I guess I should snap a photo of the thing I have been using for years. Fits different size jugs (gallons/quarts) has a clear plastic filler tube and you twist it to shut off the flow. Also has a cap on the end of the tube to keep stuff out of the tube in storage. I just leave it on the Hy-Tran gallon. I originally got it for 2 stroke oil when I got tired of spilling trying to get it in the tank out of a full gallon container.

Been looking for another one, but can't seem to find the same thing....
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

howhow1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14025
Tractors Owned: 52 cub "Big Ed" FH
52 cub "Loader cub"
54 cub "#3"
multiple implements
101A fertilizer
174 planter
144 cultivators
193 plows
194 plows
23 - A disc
L-38 disc
22 mower
grader blade - power swivel
42 Farmall H - wide front end 3 pt hitch
and power steering

Postby howhow1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:12 am

I use one of the long transmission funnels with approx 1/2 - 5/8 end on it
mine has a slight curve on it
available at most auto parts stores
it allows the fluid in and lets the air out
also when I put the loader on my cub RE the resevoir . . .
I have the hex filler plug with straight threads
I drilled (using a drill press)& tapped the plug with either a 1/4 or 3/8 npt
that allows options of inserting a hose barb (return from aux resevoir) or
a standard npt plug if running only the touch control
Howard
"Everyone here brings us happiness . . .
some when they arrive and some when they leave"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 am

Appreciate all the tips on the different funnels around.. but I already have a few of em. They are a PITA.. which is a minor concern. Major idea was that I am going to eventually install an auxillary tank since I will have the lines for the grader blade and will also have the woodsplitter on the back. Just playing around, having some fun.. and building on anticipation of later projects.

Got the parts a little while ago.. so I am going down to the barn to play for awhile. I have to make a couple of battery cables, finish wiring the rear light, do the adapter and then clean a bit so I can move Ellie out and swap places with Granny while I work on mounting up her snowblower frame. Projects, projects, projects :roll: :arrow: :{_}:

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Rudi

I've been buying fittings from these guys on-line. They've got a pretty complete line of all sorts of adapters as well, and their prices are good.

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/

Hope this helps.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 pm

That is where I got my parts. Selection and service both good. They have a $20 minumum order.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Forgot to bring the camera back in from the barn/shop tonight. Kinda pooped. Along with getting this part finished, I completed a couple of other projects as well.. I ran over to my local Fastenal store and picked up the 3/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT Bushing and a 4" long 1/2" NPT Nipple. Added the 1/2" to 3/4" Street Elbow and the neat hex cap that I got from Princess and voila :!:

Sufice to say that I have my little hydraulic refill project completed and I used it to fill my reservoir as I cycled the hydraulic blade project...... :{_}: :-:-): :!: :D Oh am I really impressed with the functionality of this little upgrade. Pics tomorrow evening.

Return to “Farmall Cub”