Electrolosis

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:41 am

Is black iron pipe suitable for an electrolosis tank. I only have a little rebar but mucho pipe. These things seem like they are the answere to a maidens prayer/
Bill

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:47 am

You bet!!! I have some cooking as we speak. I try to make a nice grid around the parts to be cleaned. I'm using 2 pieces of expanded metal and several pieces of black iron pipe to clean the rear rims. Please don't use stainless as the by-products are considered hazardous waste.
Another subject :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:00 am

There is lots of debate about Stainless Steel and that many believe it is not a desired sacraficial lamb so to speak. Some use it without obvious problems. I would think that another no-no would be galvanized as well.

I have lots of pieces of galvanized pipe from frences that has been hanging around for a long time. Be nice to use it, but there is no way that I am going to put galvanized in an electrolysis tank, even a big one. I would be very concerned about the resultant vapours and of course the residue in the water. Thoughts?

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:08 am

I have always heard that galvanized contains lead. So I think that would be a no-no.

Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:33 pm

l0 wrote:
I have always heard that galvanized contains lead.

I don't think that the galvanizing process uses any lead at all. Hot zinc is what is used. I really don't think this would be considered hazardous. But I don't know for sure. :(

For more info on why not to use stainless go here:
http://antique-engines.com/stainless-steel-electrodes.htm

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:05 pm

I have always been told not to weld on galvanized metal because it releases a poisonous gas when super heated.

I do use stainless in my de-rusto tank though. :twisted:

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:20 pm

Donny M wrote:l0 wrote:
I have always heard that galvanized contains lead.

I don't think that the galvanizing process uses any lead at all. Hot zinc is what is used. I really don't think this would be considered hazardous. But I don't know for sure. :(

For more info on why not to use stainless go here:
http://antique-engines.com/stainless-steel-electrodes.htm

That only what I was told. I try not to believe everything I hear. :?

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:27 am

johnbron wrote:I have always been told not to weld on galvanized metal because it releases a poisonous gas when super heated.

Johnbron. You are right on. Zinc, cadmium, lead and beryllium are among the metals that produce poisonous gasses when welded. You must have adiquate ventilation. I believe chrome plating also produces hazardous gasses.