Leaky in the rear...

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:51 pm

Well, as happy as I am that Jay is running, I do need to finish up some work on him, or he'll be mowing the lawn in diapers.

There's a pretty good leak on the left rear axle, I can't tell from where. Have gone over the parts diagrams a few times, but I'm probably gonna have to tear into him to find out what it is. I think I'll top up his fluids for now and run him as long as the pressure washing doesn't turn up any significant cracks/damage. I'll assume it's a blown seal.

It's leaking pretty good right onto the top of the hub seen here in the center of the picture (and the wheel).

Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:50 pm

Yup Allen, that is most likely your rear axle seal. I expect you have no brakes on that side because of all the gear oil on the band as well. Not a hard fix. :wink:

Hmmm.

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:06 pm

That's the odd part, I seem to have brakes just fine on both sides, and I was figuring that I wouldn't with all that lube on there (and there's a lot)...

Then again, I don't know what "good brakes" is. But it seems to stop really well, even downhill, and I can steer it with the brakes either direction...

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Do your brakes squeal or grind? If you're down to the rivets grease likely wouldn't hinder the braking action. :idea:

Nope...

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:19 pm

Nope, they're quiet. Good thinkin' though.

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:25 pm

Sorry, sometimes my mind automatically jumps to worst case, cause I see a LOT of those "worst cases" with salvage tractors! :roll:

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:30 pm

Oh, I get it now :!: :!: :!: I never paid attention to this post until now. With that title I thought it was something old people get :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Nope...

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:37 pm

allenlook wrote:Nope, they're quiet. Good thinkin' though.
There is a drain hole under the brakes, and as long as it's kept open any leaking oil will drain out rather than puddling and getting on the brake bands.

Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:47 pm

If your transmission is truly overfull as speculated in an earlier post, once you correct the fluid level the leak may disappear.