Carb kit, what carb kit??

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:25 pm

I know this is redundant but I just can't say it enough.

When I bought my 55 some years back it didn't run. I rebuilt the mag, the carb and got it running ok. At first I had some fuel problems where it wouldn't run very good without the choke about 1/2. With the help of the fine folks on this and the other board I cleaned the fuel tank and main jet. Well, it ran much better and with only a slight bit of choke. I knew this wasn't right but the fix could wait for later.
With the re-build of 49-1 I used a different carb re-build kit. I couldn't believe the difference. So 2 weeks ago I bought a kit to put in the 55. I did that today and buddy you better be holding on :shock: :shock: The tractor just runs so much better and without any choke. I should have done this long ago.

I will never use another carb kit other than the Case/IH kit.

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:29 pm

Congrats Donny:

Yup, the IH Kits are the best! All the parts ya need for a normal rebuild and the parts are of the highest quality AND THEY FIT properly!

Glad ya got the 55 runnin better!

Carb kit

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:55 pm

Thanks for the scoop. I see all kinds of washers and what looks like felt seals in the carb drawings. I know that mine doesn't have them. I can picture all the air leaks that causes and leans out the engine which is something I guess we don't want to do without a water pump. Mine doesn't have the inlet screen either and big bumps or down the hill on the dam cause blockag and running partial choke out. One day recently I took 3/16 of gunk from the bottom of the sediment bowl. It got so bad because the screw at the bottom had rusted and I couldn't get it off to clean. It was get a new asembly so that I could steal the bail from it . Who knows maybe I should have drained the tank but it was full.

Re: Carb kit, what carb kit??

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:06 pm

Donny M wrote:I will never use another carb kit other than the Case/IH kit.

Donny,
I did not know that case/Ih made a carb kit for FORD,CHEVY :?: :oops: JD. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:28 pm

Dale51 worte:
Donny,
I did not know that case/Ih made a carb kit for FORD,CHEVY JD. .

Since everything else I own is either fuel injected (whether gas or diesel) or has an Keihin carburetor I'll stand by my previous statement :-:-): :-:-): :P :P :lol: :lol:

Re: Carb kit, what carb kit??

Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:49 pm

Dale51 wrote:I did not know that case/Ih made a carb kit for FORD,CHEVY :?: :oops: JD. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You might be surprised at how many will cross list.

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:09 pm

Ah, the old Keihin. ......there I was, the slide must have stuck wide open. Me and the Elsinore soon parted ways...........
Another chapter in the aching bones chronical. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HR

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:27 pm

HR,

Ah, the old Keihin. ......there I was, the slide must have stuck wide open. Me and the Elsinore soon parted ways...........

The reason the slide stuck was most likely a frayed cable; very common way back then :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Elsinore was the precursor to the CR. If I'm not mistaken the Elsinor used a Mikuni carb.

Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:56 am

Hi All,

The carb on my 58 cub says IHC do I need any special numbers to order a kit?

Thanks
Rick
1958 cub

Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:37 am

Nah,
Keihin. I ought to know. Had it apart enough times. Of course, I'm taking years ago. Along this era;

http://powersports.honda.com/the_story/heritage/heritage_milestone.asp?Decade=1970&TargetUrl=Milestone/Milestone_Model_0095.asp&PrevPageTitle=TimeLine&bhfv=7&bhrl=0&bhqt=0&bhmp=1&bhqs=1

Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:38 am

Rick:

There are two different part numbers:

251 234 R94 Carburetor Assy, 3/4 Updraft Farmall Cub - order carburetor assy. 63 349 C91

364 679 R91 Carburetor Assy, 3/4 Updraft International Cub and Cub Lo-Boy Tractors - order Carburetor Assy, 63 349 C91

That seems to be the only difference is in the model number. The replacement part is identical.

The rebuild kit - part # 354 454 R92 should be fine!

Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:04 am

hr wrote:
Nah,
Keihin. I ought to know. Had it apart enough times.

My mistake :oops: I had so many bikes back then I get confused :shock: :shock:
I knew it wasn't a Bing :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:32 am

Rick,

Rudi is on the mark :!:
The rebuild kit - part # 354 454 R92 should be fine!

That's the one. I've used this kit on two tractors and I know you won't be disappointed. The kit is well worth the extra$$$$$ :!:

carb kit

Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:55 pm

I took to heart what you all are talking about here and just ordered a kit from Catskill Tractor, the dealer in Franklin NY where my tractor is and got a pleasant suprise 10% off for E-mail orders. Every little bit helps.
The tractor is in a [b]lead lined vault[/b] to keep it below the radar of cub finders!
Bill

Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:02 pm

Bill:

Yer learnin :!: :roll: :lol: