This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Success!! On Getting Steering Shaft Back into Housing!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Success!! On Getting Steering Shaft Back into Housing!!

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:34 pm

Thanks to ScottyG's advice, I was able to get my steering shaft back in, with the proper thrust washers, bolted down, and functional. Talk about frustrating! I was really stuck. Nothing I tried worked. I'd like to reprint the advice Scotty gave me as I know there are several others that are going to be putting steering assembly's back together shortly. Maybe this will help you as it did me. I never stop being amazed how helpful this web site continues to be to me.

. . . I had a similar steering reassembly problem which basically involved the way I was re-installing the worm into the housing onto the worm wheel. If you don't quite catch the beginning of the shaft worm when you're "threading" it through, it can skip a few teeth and begin to worm in the middle causing the bushing to hang up. When this happens, the bushing will sit up about 1/2" too high. I was banging my head trying to figure out what went wrong, especially when I didn't replace anything that would cause a problem. An obvious solution maybe but one that worked for me...

Thanks Scotty

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:54 am

Paul,
Congrats!
Glad you got it back right. I know these things can drive you batty. I will be starting re-assembly soon on my '67Lo. I am prepared for alot of snags along the way, but I can "see" the end result in my head.

Thnaks for the heads-up too on the fix, I will be "having-an-eye" when I get to putting that worm back together.
Just Do It !

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:26 am

Paul,

I think many of us on here have had the same problem, boy I sure know
that I did and I grew up working with, on, and around tractors.

Yes, you are exactly correct, "this is the most helpful site know to man".

The list of helpful persons on the site would reach around the globe.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:58 am

Glad I could be some help to someone Paul. It's usually the other way around where I'm asking the questions as well. I'm relatively new to Cubs having only purchased mine this past May and I've found that these machines are lots of fun to work on but can also cause a lot of headaches. When I happened to stumble on this site, I just couldn't believe the weatlth of information that can be had. With such a vast resource of knowledge virtually every problem I've had has been solved. Good luck with your Cub.

Return to “Farmall Cub”