This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Electrolysis Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Another Electrolysis Question

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:52 pm

Guys, I think I know the answer but I want to be sure: Will electrolysis eat away brazed areas on a part? I have a piece for which I am going to rig up a tank and "cook" it. I plan to use lye for the electrolyte so I can get the old paint off too. I am thinking it'll be ok but I want to make sure before I start!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:08 pm

I just did my axle tubes that are brass or bronze bushings BUT I did not use lye so I dont know if lye will affect it. Just use Arm & Hammer washing soda and it will also take off all the old paint on the part you are cleaning. Soap section in most markets.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:48 pm

Al:

Do not use lye :!: I read somewhere that you should never put lye in an electrolysis tank. Not sure if that is absolutely correct or not, but makes a little sense to me. Lye is caustic :!: It WILL burn your hands if you get it on your skin or if it gets in your eyes - Man IS THAT GONNA HURT :!:

There is no need to go to a caustic electrolyte. TSP WILL take off the old paint that is either a tad loose, chipped etc. It will not remove paint that is still well bonded.

After the part is dry, and in a well ventilated area use Easy-Off to clean those stubborn areas. Be easy with that stuff too as it is also caustic. Make sure you neutralize the area well also.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 pm

Rudi wrote:Al:
TSP WILL take off the old paint that is either a tad loose, chipped etc. It will not remove paint that is still well bonded.

I have never tried TSP but when I use A&H washing soda it takes all the original paint off right down to bare metal whether well bonded or not. The old paint kinda hangs on like a shedding snake skin until I blast it with the water hose and the paint be all gone transplanted to my yard. :shock:
Then came Bronson

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:13 pm

johnbron wrote:
Rudi wrote:Al:
TSP WILL take off the old paint that is either a tad loose, chipped etc. It will not remove paint that is still well bonded.

I have never tried TSP but when I use A&H washing soda it takes all the original paint off right down to bare metal whether well bonded or not. The old paint kinda hangs on like a shedding snake skin until I blast it with the water hose and the paint be all gone transplanted to my yard. :shock:

How much of the washing soda did you use per gallon of water?

I have used lye before to eat the varnish out of a gas tank and I don't like working with it. If A&H will work just as well I would rather use it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:43 pm

I use 1 heaping tablespoon per gallon. I don't use TSP as it is a phosphate and too much of it is not a good thing to dispose of safely. Washing soda solves all the heart burn.

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:52 pm

What do I need to look for in a power supply? I have a 10 amp charger and the only settings are 6 volt or 12 volt. Is that plenty or do I need (pardon the pun) more power???
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:59 pm

l0 wrote:What do I need to look for in a power supply? I have a 10 amp charger and the only settings are 6 volt or 12 volt. Is that plenty or do I need (pardon the pun) more power???

That will work just fine. I have the same and I use it on the 12-volt high amp setting.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:48 pm

TSP works ok, and so far a lot of wrinkled paint has peeled off with the hose. Unfortunately, I am limited to TSP as I have not been able to find Arm & Hammer Washing Soda yet. Still lookin though!

I do not dispose of my tank contents into a sanitary sewer, it goes directly on my lawn. Helps it too! That area was one of the few areas that didn't have too many weeds this year.......
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:59 pm

Rudi,

I use the Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda

For Baking, Cleaning & Deodorizing

Works for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Stuff

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:05 pm

I've used both Baking Soda and TSP Substitute (Phosphate Free), and both work well at removing everything, including all paint, grease, etc, and getting back to bare metal.

I looked in a half dozen stores around here, and could not find actual TSP anywhere, nor could I find washing or laundry soda (Saratoga, NY).
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:11 pm

just trying to help
Last edited by WJ on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:16 pm

l0 wrote:If anyone needs A&H washing soda I can get it for $5.00 plus shipping. For a 3 lbs 7oz box.

:twisted: Man, Soap is high in OK., I only pay $2.39 for the same size box at our local market here in northern CA. :)
Then came Bronson

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:39 pm

You can pick/up TSP at most hardware stores.near paint sections,or cleaning sections..

Rudi
You can pick/up Arm & Hammer Washing at Sobey!s laundry soap section.Thats were I find it. :wink: :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:41 pm

Bruce:

Champlain place doesn't have it, but will check the other Sobey's. I am wondering what the difference would be between A&H Washing Soda and TSP?

Return to “Farmall Cub”