Torque for Oil Pan Bolts?

Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:40 pm

I've looked in every manual I have and all over the server, and I'll be darned if I can find the torque settings for the oil pan bolts. :!:

Can anybody point me in the right direction? :?:

Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:52 pm

Allen:

Good question :!:

I probably am offbase a bit but, I cannot find it either.

I just checked the Blue Ribbon Service Manual - GSS-1007 - Engine and on page 33

Para 23. - Put on the crancase oil pan with a new gasket.

Para 24. - Install engine flywheel and tighten the retaining bolts to 45-50 ftlbs of torque.

That's it, that's all.

So I am assuming that they just need to be snugged down with a ratchet?

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:03 pm

I don't know what the torque value would be but tighten them down just enough to compress the lock washer. Do not over tighten :!: :!: :!: If the bolts are over-tightened it will deform the oil pan and you'll have oil everywhere but where you need it :( 8)

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:04 pm

Rudi & allenlook, I guess it's one of those areas where common sense and some experience come in handy. They have to be snug but not so tight that you distort the sealing edge of the pan. If you can find a general spec for the torque on engine valve covers, it should suffice.

OK...

Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:21 pm

Well, maybe I'll undo mine and then snug them back down. I was assuming they had to be pretty tight to compress the new gasket, but I think it has a little seepage on the left side, so I'll redo it...

Live and learn, and learn, and learn :?