This is going to be hard to beat.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:18 am

I purchased a Cub from a welder about 6 weeks ago. Would you believe the right side rear axle bearing cap consists of a tin can brazed to a steel "O" ring. :idea: Works fine - but why go to the effort. I think I am going to leave it on the tractor. Not many people have anything that unique.

And no I didn't pay a lot for the tractor.
Eugene

Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:46 am

It's definitely unique. they didin't make a cap for the right side. It has the lugs for the planter drive and was left open. I've thought of making something for mine, but never have.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:13 am

the top mount of my Woods 7500 backhoe was open to dirt getting to the shaft. Dad took a tuna fish can, soldered ears on it, and made a cover. Even painted it New Holland blue (he has a lifelong phobia about painting)
when i got my first cub, i went looking for the cover for right side, believing it was missing. someone patiently explained it to me :) the kid from the suburbs hadn't never seen a planter in operation. :oops:

Hard to beat

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:27 am

Eugene,

It won't beat yours, but mine had a tin can bolted to the top of the rear tranny for storing miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Not original, but I kinda like it........Bill V.