Mystery Wheels???

Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:43 am

My father-in-laws 1951 cubs front wheels look identical to every other wheel I have seen on a cub with one difference. The valve stem holes are on the inside of the wheel. Does anyone know what the deal is here?? We are quessing they may have came off of an implement.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:32 am

the wheels might simply be mounted the other way in the 'wide' setting. :?: i have mine set wider for mowing stability, oh and make the tractor look a little more substantial.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:14 pm

Nope. That's not it. They are mounted just like mine and all of the tractors I have seen at shows.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:45 pm

With all else being equal, is it just a matter of switching each wheel to the other side ???? :oops:

Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:10 pm

Ken (48 Cub) wrote:With all else being equal, is it just a matter of switching each wheel to the other side ???? :oops:
That would be the same thing.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:19 pm

It sounds like the wheels may not be original. Or, possibly someone has reversed the centers on the rims to turn the valve openings inward.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:23 pm

Bigdog wrote:It sounds like the wheels may not be original. Or, possibly someone has reversed the centers on the rims to turn the valve openings inward.
The wheels look exactly like they should. The wheel weight holes are there and I see no signs of modifaction even when we changed tires. This seems to be a real stumper.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:33 pm

Perhaps they got reversed at the factory when they were made. However, there were other applications for the same wheels, they were not exclusive to the cub so there may be variations.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:16 pm

Bigdog wrote:Perhaps they got reversed at the factory when they were made. However, there were other applications for the same wheels, they were not exclusive to the cub so there may be variations.
That was our thoughts too.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:37 pm

That basic wheel, in several different widths, was made by at least 2 suppliers and used in a lot of places. Just as a guess, I would think the reversed wheels were originally on the rear of a garden tractor. Many of them were set up with the wheels dished out and the stem out. My Cadet has wheels just like that, except wider than Cub fronts.

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:43 pm

Jim Becker wrote:That basic wheel, in several different widths, was made by at least 2 suppliers and used in a lot of places. Just as a guess, I would think the reversed wheels were originally on the rear of a garden tractor. Many of them were set up with the wheels dished out and the stem out. My Cadet has wheels just like that, except wider than Cub fronts.
These are the standard width. I guess we just have a freak.