This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why insomnia and craigs list are bad. AKA my new cub.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Why insomnia and craigs list are bad. AKA my new cub.

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Gator809 wrote:Number 1, the brake linkages are......interesting to say the least. The linkage comes off the petals and runs under the final drive, where it attaches to a bellcrank mounted on the bottom of a stock LoBoy final drive. The bellcrank has another linkage coming off it to the toggle on the brake band. I'll grab a picture and post it tomorrow, it will all be clear then.

Number 2. The dually spacers are bolted to the final drives directly, then the duals are mounted to it. 1 dished in towards the tractor, and 1 dished to the outside.

Number 3. Yep, Tiger the LSU cub is in my shed.

I was going to buy new tires for Tiger this week. But the long bar-short bar tires on Goliath are almost brand new, while the inners are a lot more worn, so I think Tiger will get the long bar-short bar tires. Later on I'll get 4 matching tires for Goliath, OCD thing for me, the non matching tires would drive me insane.

Thanks for the answers. Figured the linkage would be complicated unless IH came up with a special final drive :shock:
Would drive me nuts too, particularly the obvious diameter difference. Just don't try to buy new turfs, probably cost more than the Cub :shock: BTDT!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Gator,

That is one fine looking special Cub! Glad it stayed south, even if you did manage to pull it right out from under our noses! :lol:

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 am

Nice Find! That's a very interesting little tractor.

Are there two speed reducers? (one on each side?) Who manufactured the speed reducer(s) on the "Modified" LoBoy?

Thanks, Rob

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 am

I've been reading this thread and have decided that insomnia and Craig's list aren't as bad as the title indicates :D Nice tractor :!: :!:

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 am

Donny M wrote:I've been reading this thread and have decided that insomnia and Craig's list aren't as bad as the title indicates :D Nice tractor :!: :!:

I agree !! Think I need to spend a little more time looking at Craig's list.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Gator809
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70816

Postby Gator809 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:10 am

Yes, 2 speed reducers. They are Howard speed reducers, the same ones used on the Howard rotovator set up.

LOL My wife might disagree with you Donny.

Later

Hank
"Tiger" 1974 International Cub
"Littl' Smokey" 104 Cub Cadet
"Red Light" 1952 Farmall Cub with 151 disc plow
"Lucky" 1970 International 140

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 pm

I know my wife would agree that strolling craigslist is a bad thing. Thats where i found #5 demo with the trencher. Cant wait to head north and get her, much too much cold and snow to venture that way any time soon.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm

Very nice find! Congratulations.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Gator809
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gator809 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Well, got to do a little bit of cleaning and searching on him this afternoon. Looks like two things, the casting dates on the trans tube, transmission, and hydraulic block all show him to be a 1960 LoBoy, which fits all the literature I've seen on those cubs. And also the fact he's had an engine swap, looks like he has a 1970 block by the casting date, and the way the engine mount ears are by the lower radiator hose. But it looks like it was just a block, all the major components, govenor, manifold, timing cover, hyd pump, and ingition system all show the signs the rest of the tractor show, 2 coats of yellow paint .

But wierdly, the trans tube and transmission show red paint under the yellow. Maybe they were repainted at the factory to match the rest of the tractor on the line??? who knows. But even wierder, the air cleaner is tan, no red or yellow under the tan paint. But it is also missing the fan shroud, and has the replacment cast fan hub with the sealed bearings. So no telling what all has been done or is just plain different from the factory on this guy.

Later

Hank

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Gator809 wrote:Well, got to do a little bit of cleaning and searching on him this afternoon. Looks like two things, the casting dates on the trans tube, transmission, and hydraulic block all show him to be a 1960 LoBoy, which fits all the literature I've seen on those cubs. And also the fact he's had an engine swap, looks like he has a 1970 block by the casting date, and the way the engine mount ears are by the lower radiator hose. But it looks like it was just a block, all the major components, govenor, manifold, timing cover, hyd pump, and ingition system all show the signs the rest of the tractor show, 2 coats of yellow paint .

But wierdly, the trans tube and transmission show red paint under the yellow. Maybe they were repainted at the factory to match the rest of the tractor on the line??? who knows. But even wierder, the air cleaner is tan, no red or yellow under the tan paint. But it is also missing the fan shroud, and has the replacment cast fan hub with the sealed bearings. So no telling what all has been done or is just plain different from the factory on this guy.

Later

Hank

Hank, Red primer was used on the castings. A greenish yellow primer was used on sheet metal parts. My air cleaner was only partially painted, with the back side all primer. Could you be seeing oil/greased stained primer?

The cast hub is in the parts book with no serial number indication of when it was used.

Gator809
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gator809 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm almost positive it's red paint on the tube and transmission, where the yellow has peeled off it looks just like the IH red paint, it has a glossier finish than primer, but i'll look again. The entire tractor was definatly repainted yellow at 1 point, you can tell from the paint build up on the emblems were they were painted over. The bottom layer is a very faded yellow, almost the same shade as the faded yellow paint on my other cub. :) At 1 point the grill was white, but it was painted black at some point long ago also, maybe about the time it was re painted yellow, the oxidation, chipping, rusting and moss growth matches the rest of the tractor.

Hum, that may be the case with the air cleaner, it was black from oil/dirt.

I thought the cast hub was an aftermarket replacment, never knew it was an IH part.

Later

Hank

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Gator809 wrote:Well, got to do a little bit of cleaning and searching on him this afternoon. Looks like two things, the casting dates on the trans tube, transmission, and hydraulic block all show him to be a 1960 LoBoy, which fits all the literature I've seen on those cubs.
Hank

There were three things that made me nervous about that Cub
1 the ad said it was a '67, and it didn't look like any '67s I'd seen
2 I was afraid of pricing four rear tires. 2 is bad enough
3 I was afraid of the reaction from my wife at borrowing the money to buy it

Sure will be fun to follow along the restoration online though
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

Gator809
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gator809 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm

I figured the 67 was either a mistype, or a person not sure of the year. And seeing how the serial number plate is gone, 99% of people aren't going to look at the casting codes. Only us cubaholics. :lol:

The 2 outters are almost brand new, the 2 inners are worn, but hold air and not in bad shape. The front rib tires don't match, but are in good shape also, so tires aren't bad. The local Co-op has 8.3x24 AG for $143 with out a tube. By the time you figure in tubes an taxes, it beats the next lowest price I've seen, which is Tuckers Tire, which is $260 for 2 with tubes, but $125 in shipping. It sounds bad until you price regular tires for a new car or truck, and then a set of tires for a cub that will last 20+ years for the same price doesn't sounds bad at all.

Well I just got down to 2 cubs, 1 for garden work, and 1 for mowing. I had just sold a F cub with a mower, and my wife was supposed to deposit the money in the bank. Well, I'm glad she didn't, because it gave me $1600 towards the cub. And since it was a holiday weekend, the $400 limit on ATM withdrawals was just perfect in getting me the money I needed since the banks were closed. Now after I get Goliath in good shape, I'll be selling my other regular LoBoy, since I don't need 3 cubs again :big afro:

Later

Hank

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Hank,

I'd be interested in looking at your LowBoy when you get ready to sell it...what year? Got pix? Feel free to send me the info by PM, and thanks.

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Gator809 wrote:Well, got to do a little bit of cleaning and searching on him this afternoon. Looks like two things, the casting dates on the trans tube, transmission, and hydraulic block all show him to be a 1960 LoBoy, which fits all the literature I've seen on those cubs. And also the fact he's had an engine swap, looks like he has a 1970 block by the casting date, and the way the engine mount ears are by the lower radiator hose. But it looks like it was just a block, all the major components, govenor, manifold, timing cover, hyd pump, and ingition system all show the signs the rest of the tractor show, 2 coats of yellow paint .

Later

Hank

Hank, great find! The below pictures back up your comment of tan paint on the air cleaner. This '57, when I acquired it, had original paint and a lot dirt and grease. When I pressure washed it I was surprised to find the tan color or primer. Not hard to determine the factory paint line. I sold it to Larry Gray and he made it look like a new one.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”