How to seal muffler to standpipe?

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:56 am

Good Morning!

It seems like a small thing - unless you're the one that painted the hood!

When I start up Jay, he puffs a little soot for a minute, and it comes out the joint where the muffler joins the standpipe that comes up from the manifold. It gets on the paint and makes a dirty black spot.

What do you guys do:

1. Seal it up with <<miracle putty or other stuff>>.
2. Live with it.
3. Move the muffler joint below the hood.

??? :?: :?: :?: ???

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:09 am

You could try a piece of silver colored duct-tape trimmed neat. I have Never tried it on heat so it might discolor or burn off but wont hurt to try. :roll:

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:13 am

To answer your question, I live with it. But, you can solve the problem by installing a longer pipe to raise the muffler connection farther above the hood. I don't think moving the connection below the hoodline is feasible. And sealing the connection may not be a good idea as sometimes they are hard enough to remove when you need to without any sealer on them.

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:45 am

You could try some aluminum tape. 8)

Aluminum Tape

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:28 am

Donny,

When I do a Google search for "Aluminum Tape", I get back a lot of different things...

Do you mean the wide silver tape that's used on A/C duct work?

Muffler Manifold Seal

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:40 am

Allen,

Try a company called Venture Tape. They make aluminum foil tape for different applications, like HVAC and automotive. They have automotive foil tape, rated for 250 degF..........Bill V.

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:45 am

:twisted: Cut a hole in a baby robot diaper and drape it over the pipe and let it lay on the hood. :twisted: Robot diapers also need changing every so often. :twisted:

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:47 am

Better use an over-night diaper just to be sure.

Swimmy...

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:02 am

Tragically, my baby robot passed away last year...

All I have to remember him by is the "swimmy diaper" he was wearing just before he passed on... :shock:

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:30 am

lookallen, :lol: :lol:

Try this link: http://www.mcmaster.com

The page you're looking for is 3200. 8)

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:50 am

Don't worry, the joint will seal itself up with carbon soon enough.

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:23 pm

Would furnace cement work? it should come off easy if you needed to replace the muffler

Rick

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:52 am

Use high temp silicon by permatex.
It is copper colored it will stand up to 650deg
It will stand up even higher as i have used it.
http://www.permatex.com/products/prodid ... m_no=81422

Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:49 am

Seems like a good time to ask this questions but if I wanted to replace the exhaust pipe from the manifold, what size diamter pipe pipe should I use. Also, what are most of you using for length? I'm also assuming that we're dealing with national pipe thread? Galvanized or regular black iron pipe?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:17 am

Scotty, - 1" I.D. sched. 40 pipe 17" long. I prefer black pipe rather than galv.