This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why replace both the piston and rings ???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:20 am

Cub-Bud wrote:"I was actually looking at the PTO adapter."

I don't think I am looking at the same picture you guys are looking at.....I don't see anything but the normal PTO shaft and plate. :oops: :roll:

What am I looking for :?: I must be missing something. :oops:

I agree Bud, it looks like a standard pto to me. I think the rockshaft messes up the depth perception. But I do wonder if it is a full hi-crop cub. Am I the only one who sees hi-crop rear wheels. Maybe I'm due for glasses again.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:28 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:When I first looked at it I also thought it was an adaptor, but after going back and taking a closer look, it appears that the angle of the picture and the different color is making a standard pto appear to be an adaptor.

Agreed.

I guess we could talk about the rear rim, but we already did.

Glenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glenn » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:23 pm

Ok, here's a picture of the PTO in question:
Image[url]

The offending head
Image[/url]

The PTO on the 1956 Cub + my dog Pete
Image[url]

The 1956 PTO cleaned up a little
Image[url]

A dirty picture
Image[/url]

Another dirty picture
Image[url]

A cleaner picture
Image[/url]

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:59 am

Your engine looks better that some I've taken on. It seems to be in good condition. You asked about buying just a set of rings. I buy them at Napa for $29.95 a set. You don't have to buy the pistons unless you want them. Napa charges me $70.00 each. My IH dealer wanted $247.00 (yes, two hundred forty seven dollars) for a set of .030 over rings. IH didn't make .030 over and he was making a killing on after market if someone needed them. I was out your way a couple of weeks ago riding around. We were going to go up 101 and stop and stock up on some garlic wine, but my wife got sick before we got that far, so we turned around and came home. Good luck on your engine.

Glenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glenn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:36 am

Thanks for all the info, and yep it's a 1948 high crop wide (stuck real bad). I am traveling this week so the 1956 is in the shop in 3rd gear with the rear wheels jacked up on a steel rod through hubs, hope steady pressure on the engine will move things a little. When I get home I'll take some more pictures, start a new post, and let everyone know if it worked.

Glenn

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 am

Merlin wrote:Your engine looks better that some I've taken on. It seems to be in good condition. You asked about buying just a set of rings. I buy them at Napa for $29.95 a set. You don't have to buy the pistons unless you want them. Napa charges me $70.00 each. My IH dealer wanted $247.00 (yes, two hundred forty seven dollars) for a set of .030 over rings. IH didn't make .030 over and he was making a killing on after market if someone needed them. I was out your way a couple of weeks ago riding around. We were going to go up 101 and stop and stock up on some garlic wine, but my wife got sick before we got that far, so we turned around and came home. Good luck on your engine.
Could I get those napa part numbers please???
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Return to “Farmall Cub”