How are you measuring RPM?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:26 pm

Are you guys using a timing light to set your idle?

Jay was bogging down today while mowing - the first time I've had him out, and I was wondering if he was even idling/running fast enough, cause I thought he'd chew right through the stuff I was goin' over... Then I started wondering how I'd be able to tell if he was running at 1800 RPM or not?

RPMs

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:44 pm

One method is to measure the RPMs off the running PTO since this turns at the speed of the engine. They make a nifty little hand held unit that you put up against the PTO. I hope someone else chimes in here as to where to get one.

S.H.A.F.T.

re

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:58 pm

I bought one off ebay for $15. It is a Stewaet Warner and has a nice tin storage box . Reads either right or left turning. Also works for electric motors etc.

Huh

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:11 pm

Never would have guessed THAT!

Found one on eBay I'll keep an eye on.

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:28 pm

I have a Swiss made unit that has an internal clock. When the shaft is engaged and the start button pushed... it runs for exactly 3 seconds. It counts the revolutions during that interval and automatically does the calculation. Drive your Cub over here and we'll check it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:36 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot afford a wonderful piece of precision craftmanship that George is the proud owner of, soooo, I use a made in Taiwan Sunpro Dwell/Tachometer. One lead to the ground side of the mag and the other lead to the positive side of the coil. Works good, seems reasonably accurate and for $19.95 Cdn, affordable too!

George that really is a beautiful peice. A work of art really!

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:49 pm

IH made a tachometer available as an optional extra cost item but they are hard to find today.

Image

mt

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:58 pm

Now, I wouldn't mind finding one of those at a yard sale :!: :lol:

Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:01 pm

Rudi wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot afford a wonderful piece of precision craftmanship that George is the proud owner of, soooo, I use a made in Taiwan Sunpro Dwell/Tachometer. One lead to the ground side of the mag and the other lead to the positive side of the coil. Works good, seems reasonably accurate and for $19.95 Cdn, affordable too!

George that really is a beautiful peice. A work of art really!


Rudi,

It really is a fine instrument. I got it the only way a tightwad like me can... at a garage sale. Some days we win one!

Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:03 pm

George:

Good on you :!: :D I try to get my wife to go to garage sales with me, but not too much luck there, and I really don't like going by myself. I think I just may have to take in a few over the next few weeks.... might get lucky and find something useful :roll:

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:18 pm

mltiema wrote:IH made a tachometer available as an optional extra cost item but they are hard to find today.

Image

mt
I have never seen a real tachometer. I thought they were a old wives tale. I am very jealous. Looks great.

Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:30 am

:?: Is that tachometer pictured cable driven or electronic :?: . The dial/face looks a lot like the cable driven proofmeter on my old ford backhoe.

RE

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:08 am

That is what I was going to ask. If it is cable driven, what is it driven off of? My Ford 5000 has a the proof meter driven off of the back of the generator. Lucas (Prince Of Darkness) electrical system.

Tach...

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:56 am

George,

After trying to get me to bring the Cub over there for "inspection", I thought you were going to say you acquired your HandHeld Tach the only way you could - by convincing someone to bring it over for "inspection"...

:D

Re: RE

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:36 am

David D. smith wrote:That is what I was going to ask. If it is cable driven, what is it driven off of? My Ford 5000 has a the proof meter driven off of the back of the generator. Lucas (Prince Of Darkness) electrical system.
They are driven off of the distibutor. Heres a photo of the tach drive housing. http://www.tm-tractor.com/gel/housingw_001.htm