This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1947 circle cub or not

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FARMALL34736
10+ Years
10+ Years

1947 circle cub or not

Postby FARMALL34736 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I have a 1947 cub ser.# 4499, casting # 8-8-Q. Is this a circle cub? If so, can some tell me the ser.#'s of the circle cubs? Thanks, Durk.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1947 circle cub or not

Postby Trent M » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Your Cub falls into the unknown range. You can see in the database that we know Cub SN 3523 has original Circle Cub decals. Also, Cub SN 4632 has original decals that are not Circle Cub. Until we find another tractor in that range with original decals showing, we won't know which ones your tractor was wearing when it left the factory. :(
Trent McPeak

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Trent,

To try to close the gap a little, I know this tractor has been topic of discussion in the past. It's on ebay currently (ending in 30 minutes)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

The serial number is 4308 and appears to have original McCormick Deering (not circle Cub) decals. Did we decide that the decals are original to this tractor? If so, then the gap is closed a little more....just a thought.

Rob

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Here is the one Rob is referring to. Serial #4308.

It appears original to me.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Boy... that is a cool old tractor there... If I was looking, this one would have had some serious consideration in my book. It only brough less than a grand, and that didn't meet the reserve!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:29 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:Boy... that is a cool old tractor there... If I was looking, this one would have had some serious consideration in my book. It only brough less than a grand, and that didn't meet the reserve!!

Yep, and it it didn't sell. I gave less than that for my Circle Cub and it was a runner. Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 am

Seems like this tractor (the one on eBay Rob pointed out) can lop off 300 serial numbers and eliminate 4499 from the circle cub era (sorry).

I did notice that the last Circle Cub we have verified has June casting dates and then the next casting date we have verified is August (8-7-Q) with a gap of about 500 tractors. Many foundries shut down in July for vacation because of the hot weather and we could be seeing that in the numbers and the dates. Also there was some discussion in the past about aging castings for metallurgical reasons and the data does not support that. Engine blocks we cast the same month tractors were shipped in August of 1947. Recent studies have shown that machinability of gray iron improves with 5 days of aging. But I digress.

If you look at the data, it would seem to indicate that the first 442 tractors produced in August had engine casting dates from June.
If we accept this eBay tractor as an original with MD Farmall decals we have a gap of 785 tractors that would be nice to fill in.

If you have not visited Trent's database with serial numbers and casting dates, follow the link in his signature line. Additional casting date date from your tractor would be very helpful for us to have.

Return to “Farmall Cub”