This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what size threads?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

what size threads?

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:36 am

what size threads for the gas line on the carb and sediment bulb end?
thanks for the help
Chad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:02 am

Chad,

You're in luck... it's a common thread. 1/2 - 20
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:03 am

I used a brake line with fittings already on it, it worked perfect
Rick

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:13 am

George
thanks for the help. I am in process of using a spare carb where the old carb was beat up bad but I fixed it and it rund better than my other carb and I plan just want to run it for a while.
the thread on the carb end is a bigger size becasue someone in its past screwed in what looks like a large air hose end. so I am trying to make a new gas line so I do not have to use a rubber hose.
thanks for the help.
Chad

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:11 pm

cjpenny89 wrote:George
thanks for the help. I am in process of using a spare carb where the old carb was beat up bad but I fixed it and it rund better than my other carb and I plan just want to run it for a while.
the thread on the carb end is a bigger size becasue someone in its past screwed in what looks like a large air hose end. so I am trying to make a new gas line so I do not have to use a rubber hose.
thanks for the help.
Chad

Chad,

It's unfortunate that the thread is so close to a 1/4" pipe thread that maybe some think it is just a little rough and force the hose fitting in. I'm guessing that that's why so many of the threads are stripped. It's an easy mistake to make since the hose fitting does seem to start. Some have reported success restoring the thread by filling the thread with J.B. weld and re-tapping to 1/2-20.
George Willer

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:42 pm

well that is exactly my problem.
I can not find a compression fitting that has 1/4 npt thread for the screwed up carb end that will match up to a compression fitting on the sediment bole end.
I need a 1/2-20 comprssion fitting to use 5/16 brake line but the compression fittings I find for the carb end or for 1/4" tubing or 3/8" tubing.
I need to find a compression fitting that will let me use the 5/16 brake line and then use a 5/16 compression fitting on the carb end for 5/16 tubing
any ideas?

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi Chad

I think Mr. Willer just gets a piece of 5/16 brake line, and cuts of the flare on the ends, and uses the ends that come with the brake line along with compression ferruls. Someone posted the other day and I think you need about a 20 inch oiece of the 5/16 brake line tubing. Sorry I don't know how to spell ferruls. 5/16 compression rings. Paul K in N.H. :roll:

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:30 am

cjpenny89 wrote:well that is exactly my problem.
I can not find a compression fitting that has 1/4 npt thread for the screwed up carb end that will match up to a compression fitting on the sediment bole end.
I need a 1/2-20 comprssion fitting to use 5/16 brake line but the compression fittings I find for the carb end or for 1/4" tubing or 3/8" tubing.
I need to find a compression fitting that will let me use the 5/16 brake line and then use a 5/16 compression fitting on the carb end for 5/16 tubing
any ideas?

Go to NAPA they shold have what your looking for but not in where your looking.
You will have to go to the book & look under comp. fittings for air lines as many of the 10 & 18 wheel trucks us 1/4" pipe on one end & 5/16"on the other.
If they don't try some of the major truck repair shops or dealers.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:09 am

Dale51 wrote:
any ideas?

You will have to go to the book & look under comp. fittings for air lines as many of the 10 & 18 wheel trucks us 1/4" pipe on one end & 5/16"on the other.

Why not use the right fitting? The common 5/16 steel brake line has the right threads for both ends. It's just that the flare must be cut off and replaced by the compression ferrule. If that doesn't work, it is because someone has boogered the thread by using the wrong fitting.

George Willer

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Nice.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:27 am

Hey George, that's really nice - I'm gonna try that next - looks a lot more original than my black piece of fuel line :D

Oh, and I haven't heard the term boogered for a while - thanks for a laugh :D

Actually, it comes from the British term "buggered" - and I can't say in good company what that stands for.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:35 am

That does make a really nice looking fuel line. I think that will be my project for the day.

Thanks for the tip guys.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:26 am

George Willer wrote:
Dale51 wrote:
any ideas?

Why not use the right fitting? The common 5/16 steel brake line has the right threads for both ends. It's just that the flare must be cut off and replaced by the compression ferrule. If that doesn't work, it is because someone has boogered the thread by using the wrong fitting.

He would like to but PO ran a 1/4" pipe fitting in to it as he posted above
so now the 5/16 1/2X20 line fitting has wrong thread.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 am

Dale51 wrote: He would like to but PO ran a 1/4" pipe fitting in to it as he posted above
so now the 5/16 1/2X20 line fitting has wrong thread.

Repair the threads with JB weld.

Return to “Farmall Cub”