Granny's Tranny

Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:14 pm

I can't find the thread where we where chatting about the tranny. Anyways, I thought maybe I was lucky and the fork wasn't broken, but no such luck :!: :roll: :(

However :!: I did figure out with a little help, a pair of vice grips, hammer and an extra pair of hands, how to move the rods and not have the poppet balls fly all over the place :!: :D Have the fork out and going to try having it welded. A buddy says he did this to his Dad's Cub about 2 years ago and it is doing well. Might end up having to do this again, but oh well - need the practice I guess.

Other thing is, I think the other fork is broken too.. I know that the set screw is stripped for sure. Sure hope the threads in the other end are not stripped -- that would mean a complete tranny tear-down right :?: :?: Got me fingers crossed.

Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:05 pm

Rudi, the other fork comes out pretty much the same way. NO need to dig too deep. :wink:

Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:17 am

Rudi,

That same fork was cracked again on a previous weld when I got the '49. I discovered it when I went in to find that I was missing a poppet ball back during the rebuild. I had the piece welded up again and it's held good for a year now. Also, run a tap through those threads and you might be OK, mine needed it too. I looked at buying a replacement fork from my dealer.....................best he could do........$108Cdn.

Bon chance!

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:26 am

EZ:

Wow he was expensive. I thought Gilles was expensive at $86.00 Cdn :!: :!: :?

The thread....

Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:57 pm

Rudi,

I think the thread you're referring to is: Tranny Gunk. I see where you've posted there and spoke of Granny's tranny.

Rick