This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A little Magnet oKnowlege Help Please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

A little Magnet oKnowlege Help Please

Postby Mag Man » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Hi guys as some of you know I dabble in H4 magnetos but I am a little confused. I have been told that a H4 mag will not fit a cub is this true? and why. Also does any one know about the H4 mags with the serial # ending with Y They are an off set mount mag? The reason I ask is becuase I had a IH 50T baler that had a H4 mag on it I think it was the Y mount. That was a C60 Motor in it I beleve.
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:03 pm

Mag man, Can't answer your question, but there is a Blue Ribbon Mag Service Manual on Rudi's Server that will probabaly have the answers you need. I know it has a section on IH H-1 and H-4 magnetos. I am about half done downloading this manual now...country dial-up connection.

Here is the link: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... index.html

Mike

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:29 pm

The H-4 mag is longer than the J-4. It would be very close to the oil filter housing. The battery ignition unit, which was used on the Cub, is nearly as long as the H-4. If you ever tried to work with the plug wires on a battery ignition Cub, you would question whether it fits either. The H-4 would be as bad and probably a little worse. So although I never tried an H-4 on a Cub, as far as I am concerned, it doesn't fit.

IH used the Continental IY-69 engine on balers and combines. It used the H-4 mag with the angled mounting flange. Since the engine is a flat head design close to the size of the Cub engine, they are frequently misidentified as Cub engines. That is probably what was on your 50T baler.

Return to “Farmall Cub”