Re: Starting on the '50

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:55 pm

If the nut on the back side is the one you are missing, I believe it is a standard 5/8 NF jam nut.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks Jim, I was just going to call up the parts book. :D

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi Bob...two questions. Where did you get your Glyptal paint? Is this the same stuff that I noticed on the inside of the torque tube during my restoration of a 49 Cub?

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 pm

I think I got it from Eastwood. I think that is what IH used. It is ideal for sealing castings, trapping any residual sand, and getting oil to shed off. It must be baked, however, to cross-link the polymer and it is not something to do in the house.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:36 pm

what did you use to bake it

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 pm

I was getting my mother's house ready for the market after she passed. It was wicked hot and humid and I baked it in her oven and left with exhaust fans on. Later, I ran the self-cleaning cycle. I have baked small parts in my gas fueled smoker after setting up the temperature and then monitoring it with a wireless thermometer. Something like 250-260 if I recall correctly.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:00 am

Hey Bob, That's really been a "no bolt unturned" process! I appreciate the attention to detail especially on the motor rebuild. That will be a sweet running machine not to mention a "purty" one! Looking forward to seeing it all done. Great work! Merry Christmas! :coffee:

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:51 am

Smokeycub wrote:Hey Bob, Great work! Merry Christmas! :coffee:

Thanks Ray, It is the second complete teardown I have done, but time sure got spread out on this project! Six years, since I bought it. I'll be setting this aside, again, as my mowing tractor needs some hydraulic work and Spring has a way of sneaking up on you when you are busy with winter survival.

Merry Christmas to you and all the forum folks!

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:31 am

Mornin' Bob. I'm wondering where you got those powered wire "bottle" or "tube" brushes? I thinks that's what they would be called? Getting ready for a winter project on my '76 and they look like they would be a great addition to the tool arsenal!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

Chuck

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 am

Worksmart wrote:Mornin' Bob. I'm wondering where you got those powered wire "bottle" or "tube" brushes? I thinks that's what they would be called? Getting ready for a winter project on my '76 and they look like they would be a great addition to the tool arsenal!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

Chuck

Merry Christmas, Chuck. I get mine from McMaster Carr. Best hardware store I have ever known.

Bob

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I should have known it was McMaster Carr. I'm slowly learning the how good a source they are for many things! Thanks much.

Chuck

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:40 pm

bob in CT wrote:I have a set of NOS .020 pistons that I hope to be able to use. I bought them several years ago cheap and put them away. Trent McPeak tipped me off to those when a set of 4 were on eBay for around $100.

Bob - I remember that. Their mistake was showing the original price stickers!

I am very happy to see them now installed. It looks like you are coming along nicely, if not quickly. Haha!

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

I had a chance to spend some time with my new alternator (Denso 121000-0600 35 amp). These are photos of the mock up just to see how everything lines up. Belts look good and the original Cub brackets are close to perfect. A little tweaking and/or a couple of washers in the right place and it will mount right up without a hint of stress. The pulley does need to be machined to accept a 1/2" wide belt.

This is a three wire unit, so I will be using battery ignition and I'll make up the wiring harness.

The carriage bolt will be replaced by a piece of all-thread. :wink:
I tweaked the bracket with a big adjustable wrench for a parallel fit.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:03 am

Looks good, Bob.