Re: Starting on the '50

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:24 am

The new and improved alternator bracket is welded and trimmed to fit. I like the cleaner installation of the coil, which is just like the later Long Stripe setup- bolted directly to the distributor base.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Dropped the radiator off today for cleaning and pressure testing. Not many shops around anymore. Just like automotive machine shops, they have become specialty shops rather than essentials.

I slapped the wheels on so I can roll it around. Still have a lot of futzing to do. I am going to run a 1-1/4 stack out of the exhaust, so that means some work on the hood opening. Waiting for the radiator install to get some good measurements, but by first eyeball, the hood hole is no centered to the exhaust opening, so there may be a bit of work involved. The hood was painted when I bought the tractor, but is had a big fisheye flaw so it needed to be sanded and re-shot anyway. Always something.

The next project, starting very soon, is to pull the motor out of The Beast, also known as Attila the Fun. I was able to wash it and smoke the tires a bit today. :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 pm

"There's always something"- Gilda Radner

Been futzing around fitting up a choke cable to operate the choke on my Zenith carb. I had one on the shelf, so I reamed a round hole in the choke lever slot for the cable. Loosely rigged it up and discovered the carb was chokes with the pull rod in and not choked with the rod pulled out. Not acceptable. Then the cable housing was not clamping in the carb, so I "fixed" that with a cable stop from my bicycle parts drawer. Then the metal sleeve that attaches to the nut and boss assembly at the dash slipped out which it probably why it ended up on the shelf. I priced out choke wire assemblies and those things run up to $60 EACH! Plan B: I glued the end stop onto the spiral wound housing with JB weld and let it set overnight. This morning I soldered the sleeve to the stop nut so not the cable was good to go.

The carb on my 77 was pretty nasty so I figured it was a good time to pull that off and take care of two carb projects and have the OEM unit available to match the linkage setup. The choke butterfly is not perfectly round. It tips a little forward or a little back when it is closed to choke the throat. My carb for the '50 was tipping back so all I needed to do was remove the butterfly and screw it on in the forward tip position and the cable push/pull would inverse to the way it should be. Re-routing the cable and setting the linkage stops differently was another option, but not as elegant.

Here is the choke as it is set up on a Long Stripe:

Open (note the lever is forward meaning the knob would be push in when running):

Closed:

Easy, right? Not so fast.
"There's always something"

That little boss prevents me from tipping the choke as it will not allow it to fully open. I need to grind it away or re-route the cable. :evil: :censored:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:28 pm

You can use the old choke rod and arm on the zenith also

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:37 pm

tst wrote:You can use the old choke rod and arm on the zenith also

Not the way this choke opens.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm

I believe that you need to move the choke lever mechanism to the other side of the carb. Then it will work with the rod. Do you have a copy of the manual?

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Don, I did that. Not the best approach for the cable but I will make a stand-off bracket to keep it well away from the exhaust manifold. There is a lot of flexibility in moving the cable stop, but it would have been easier if the choke plate could have been flopped in the throat like the OEM carb on the Long Stripe. I started on a bracket, but the material may not be rigid enough. Need something like the twisted one for the speedo cable.