This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Surges after Warming Up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jtcweb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Surges after Warming Up

Postby jtcweb » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:50 pm

Hello All,

I'm working on a Cub for an old farmer lady and after it has been run for about 10 minutes the engine almost stalls out and then surges, loses power, surges again and keeps goign in this pattern. I would assume it isn't the carb because it only does this after it has been run for a while. This tractor did sit almost a year without being ran. I did change the oil & gas. Can someone point me in the direction to look. I do see a small ammount of something that looks like white smoke coming out of the oil filler cap, so the engine may have problems.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:51 am

Before you rule the carb out entirely, you might want to check the float level and clean the main jet. Also, check the inlet strainer for dirt as well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:39 am

Are you runnng it at idle or full throttle for those 10 minutes?? If the time changes to longer at idle and or if you let alone 5 or 10 minutes and it takes a while to surge again it pretty much has to be fuel starving because of dirt some where, In a filter, or the carb, it could be a sticky float, stickey float needle, a bent bowl or any such that will prevent enough fuel from reaching the engine. Emptying the tank or refilling an already empty tank will stir up all the dusty gunk on the bottom. Some of it it so fine that you will not see it but it still does the dirty deed. As you can see from many other recent postings fuel starvation caaused by sediment is a common thing in old tractors. Can you get it to run some what better with the choke? What happens if you remove the gov to carb linkage and you operate the carb by hand?
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 am

Bigdog,
Can you clean the main jet without having to remove the carb?

Thanks
Rick

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:55 pm

Yes, remove the large nut on the side of the carb body.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dutch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dutch » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:39 pm

The same thing happens to my '49 and an old timer said that the points are getting hot and closing up and not giving strong enough spark etc. I havn't worked on it yet due to lack of time but might be somthing to consider

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:01 pm

Gord Trail and I finally got his surging problem figured out. Couple of problems and they are all the usual ones :!: Go Figure eh :!: :idea: :?:

Anyways, start first with the fuel system. Check that your fuel strainer assembly is clean and there is no dirt in the screen. As was mentioned, check the main metering jet and ensure both the large orifice on the side is not plugged nor the small orifice on the end. (this one was plugged slightly on Gord's). It does not take much dirt to clog it. Then, check the inlet screen and look for teflon tape particles. (another problem on Gord's carb). Most of the white teflon tape IS NOT meant for gasoline applications.

If this is clean, then make sure that the side of your fuel chamber is not bowed in. If it is, then most likely the float is rubbing against the side and possibly causing fuel starvation. If this is the case, then crack the carb and while you are in there check the float for holes and all the passageways for dirt and stuff.

Also, check your rpm's and ensure that at slow idle it is around 400 to 600 rpm depending on where your Cub likes it. Ellie likes it at around 475 to 500, Gord's Cub likes it more in the range of 600 - 650.

If that doesn't solve it, then probably the main culprit is in the governor. There are two places to adjust the governor. One is the bumper spring tension and the other is the spring that controls the weights inside the governor. They may need to be adjusted.

NOTE: To be safe, make all adjustments to the governor with the engine stopped. YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR HANDS TO GET SMACKED WITH THE FAN :!: :roll: :oops: :x :x :x :roll: Don't ask :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”