This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

water seperator for painting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

water seperator for painting

Postby splicer » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:08 am

Rudi asked me for plans for a water seperator and as I'm very limited in my picture posting abilities I'll explain it the best I can. to remove moisture from air lines one must CONDENSATE the moisture and COOL the air. Run your air hose (or metal) to the ceiling of your shop and connect to a steel or copper pipe. (metal condensates) Run the metal pipe down the wall near floor and up again creating a U shape to a 4' level and re-connect to air hose. At the bottom of the U shape metal pipe install a tee fitting and a short piece of pipe with a valve for draining collected water. The pros reccomend a min. of 25' of metal piping for proper cooling and condensating but with homeowner compressors I wouldn't think this would apply. metal piping should be a min. 3/4" dia.(per the pros) None of this is carved in stone.....everyones cirmstances are different....just remember the more metal the better effect. Get creative! I've talked to a guy that drilled a hole in the lid and in the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket,coiled soft copper in it, put his tee and drain at the bottom, ran a short vertical from the low end (output) and filled it with ice before he painted. (he swore by this) If anyone knows of anything different.....please share, this might get good. The web's full of ideas and pictures.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:17 am

Rick:

Excellent :!: :idea: Will try to sketch from your description.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Pressure/Temperature Differential...

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:34 pm

Perhaps the pressure drop going from 3/8 hose to 3/4 pipe (regardless of the pipe material) would cool the air and condense the moisture out of it a bit anyway.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:49 pm

Stay away from most of the soft or as we call it refrigerator copper tubing.
It is very thin walled & will not stan pressures over 75 psi.
Read the box it comes in to see what pressure it will stand.

The very best seperator I have ever seen was a used compressor tank
mounted 25' from the comp. with a auto air drier mounted in the middle.
After using it for 5 hours it had 0 water in the tank nor did it put any in the filter on the DA or the paint gun.
The air drier runs on 12 volts & is off a old 18 wheeler cost about 25.00 from a junk yard.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

pup
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pup » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:45 pm

I just put this on the HVLP post yesterday. The copper tubing in the 5 gal bucket does work. I used about 25 feet of 3/8 thick wall tubing. Come out of the compressor into the bucket, coil the tubing, come out and connect it to a water trap. The ones that have a drain in the bottom. Connect hose to water trap. Fill bucket with water. The water will cool the hot air and condense the water in the tubing and the trap will collect the water. I did not use ice the water worked for me. I used this with 2 small compressors both running to paint and DA sand with. This was the only thing I found to work using these compressors. Pup

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07419

Postby bobburke » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:27 pm

The ice in the bucket work well for me. The only thing different I do is put a clear Goldenrod filter dirrctly after the bucket. This has a screw on jar just like a cub sediment bowl that collects the condensed water.

tglass
10+ Years
10+ Years

need pictures of compressor water seperator

Postby tglass » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:42 pm

does anyone have or know where to get a picture of a compressor water seperator? I'd like to build something to clean the line out of the compressor. I like the sounds of the U shaped one, but not sure how to build it.

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 pm

tglass, get on a search engine and type in air line water trap, water seperator, moisture trap, moisture seperator, and you will find what your looking for. Also auto painting websites, paint gun webs, paint shop webs.......one of these should help you find a picture and/or layout of one.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078

'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right

- Henry Ford

Return to “Farmall Cub”