Re-tapping Threads

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Re-tapping Threads

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:02 am

It probably goes without saying.................but I will say it anyway,
When you are doing a rebuild/restore/spruce-up etc. to your Cub, or any other equipment, take the time to run a tap through any threads that you have exposed, especially in areas where a good seal is needed. I.e. the holes for your rad on the steering gear housing, dog-leg holes, anywhere on the touch-control, especially the bottom plate, basically anywhere that you have bolts out.

Just a tip.
Just Do It !
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:29 am

Thanks for the tip. It's a great one.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.
WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby johnbron » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:29 am

Funny you should mention that, I just did all the radiator bolt threads yesterday. I also do every exposed hole before re-bolting. I also wire-wheel all bolt threads and use never-seize. It sure makes it easier for re-doing screw-ups of which is not rare for me. :roll:
Then came Bronson
johnbron
CubPro Emeritus

Works great.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:38 pm

I redid every bolt hole during my project, and wire-wheeled every bolt, using Neva-Seize on all of them.

It was a blessing when I had to remove a few of them due to putting things back together in the wrong sequence!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 12020

Return to Farmall Cub