This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Wheel And Shifter Knob

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Wheel And Shifter Knob

Postby Donny M » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:40 pm

What is the steering wheel and shifter knob made out of :?: :?:

The reason I ask is; I plan on refinishing the knob and steering wheel and am wondreing what product/products would be compatable 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Ive got 2-new shifter knobs and they are rubber. Not sure about the wheel but its probably a hard rubber?. You can get new shift knobs for 5-bucks.
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Donny,

One method of refinishing is to remove the oxidized outer surface. That brings them back to original which is uncoated hard rubber. Wet sanding is effective on the steering wheel. Replacement is effective for the shifter knob. I recently bought a few knobs from Joe Rice (Joe's Farmalls) for $4 each.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:10 pm

Thanks fellas that would explain it. When I chucked the knob in a 1/2 drill motor and wet sanded it my hands truned as black as night. The knob sure cleaned up nice but it still has a few cracks. I was looking for something to fill the cracks but it sounds like it would be cheaper/easier just to replace the knob :( 8)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

JB

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:08 am

Prob'ly good ol' JB Weld would fill the cracks... Might be a little more grey than the original black.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:06 am

PC7 epoxy can be used to fill cracks and chips in the steering wheel. I cures to a substance similar to the original material. There are steering wheel repair kits on the market that contain the PC&, mixing sticks, mixing containers, etc., but it is cheaper to just buy the PC7 from a good hardware store than to buy the kit. It's easy. follow directions on the cans for mixing, file or grind out the cracks, degrease the wheel, fill, sand , and paint.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:20 am

:D Donny, I cheated on the steering wheel. After I painted the spoked center I just put a black string wrapped wheel cover on it. :P
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:44 am

It does not look exactly original, but I used Plastikote (tool handle coating) on both of mine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”