Air Cleaner

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Air Cleaner

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:18 pm

Just finished painting my aircleaner housing. Should have thought of this first, obviously, but I have to ask. Is it worthwhile soaking the air cleaner in solvent to remove accumulated dirt, etc. I know the oil bath below is supposed to catch the dirt, but does the mesh in the upper section get contaminated and clogged??

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/
Paul_NJ
501 Club
501 Club

Postby johnbron » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:33 pm

I cleaned My screen with repeated squirtings of El`cheapo Wal-mart carb-cleaner. I buy them spray cans by the case and use it for many different things. It is a great cleaning prep for cleaning bare metal before painting also.
Then came Bronson
johnbron
CubPro Emeritus

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:54 pm

Paul:

Simple answer - YUP :!:

I cleaned mine with Gunk DeGreaser. Let it soak for a day or so (mostly cause I forgot it), then blew it out with compressed air. Clean as a whistle. Gonna do it again before I paint.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

air cleaner

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:48 am

The air cleaner body will get clogged up with dirt and debris - mud dobbers, etc.. I remove the entire air cleaner from the tractor. Soak the air cleaner parts in the parts washer supply tank (kerosene will do) for several days. Jiggle every so often. I then run parts cleaner solvent through the air cleaner body until the fluid comes out clean.

Usually the above described method works well. For a really clogged air cleaner, you can take it apart. You can then get a brush or thin stick inside to help clean out the "stuff".
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Farmall Cub