Hydraulics Help

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi all,
Just bought a complete set of hydraulics to put on my 48' Cub. It came with the pump, hydraulic unit, lines, rockshaft and control lever. The parts came off of a 1977 Cub. The rockshaft is of the type that uses the helper spring. Do I need to have the helper spring or can I use it without it? I've looked all over for pictures and I can't see where the other end of the helper spring connects to the tractor and I haven't really seen one for sale. Is this spring only used with a Fast Hitch or the rear rockshaft unit?
I just ordered a set of gaskets and o-rings for the unit and hopefully I will be installing it this weekend. Anything I should know as I install it?
Also, I can't find a part number on the hydraulic unit just 3 7 A on the side. Does anybody know what part number was used on a 1977 Cub?
I will be using it with a 54 blade.
Thank you all in advance for any help you can give,
Andy

Re: Hydraulics Help

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Andy, the part number for your TC should be directly under the cast code.

Photo from TM Tractor

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 pm

arthur lukes tc unit had it on the inside of the front. saw it in louisiana. it might be there

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Not always, this is where it is on my 68 Lo-Boy.

Took me a while to find it.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Hmmm...now thats interesting. I never knew that.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Arthur Luke wrote:Not always, this is where it is on my 68 Lo-Boy.

Took me a while to find it.

And you are right! I just went out and checked and that's exactly where the part number is and it's the same as yours. I should of seen it. Thanks.
Andy

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Both of mine are under the hood on the front. I think it may be a case of early versus late, with the late being on the end.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Andy, you don't need the helper spring(used for fast hitch). It'll work without it. Here's a link from TM showing where the other end connects: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/dr/2473fp.htm

Rick

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Rick:

Does that mean I can mount my fast hitch without the upgraded helper spring capable rockshaft?

pic courtesy TM Tractor

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:48 am

Rudi - yes you can but if you find later that you need the helper spring (and you almost always will find a need for it) you will have to change it out to upgrade. It shouldn't be hard to find the later rockshaft.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:18 am

Don't forget to get the correct pillow blocks for the newer rockshaft. Don't ask how I know.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

Thank you all for the help. I got my gaskets in the mail yesterday and the hydraulics are going on today.
Andy

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Bigdog wrote:Rudi - yes you can but if you find later that you need the helper spring (and you almost always will find a need for it) you will have to change it out to upgrade. It shouldn't be hard to find the later rockshaft.

BD:

I have a good idea where I can find one. And yes... I am going to mind his sage advise :D :!: