This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Won't Start ....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fyrdog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Won't Start ....

Postby fyrdog » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:00 pm

I went and tried to start the Cub today but it just back fired and made a gurgling sound when I turned it over. It back fired hard enough to knock the rain cap off the exhaust pipe. I had it running 2 weeks ago.

I cleaned up the points and changed the distributor cap. It has good spark...although a new set of plugs wounldn't hurt.

The carb has been leaking so I figure I'll fix it and see if thats the problem. Should I get a kit and fix it or drop it off and have it rebuilt? It is the orginal '48 IH carb. I'm good at getting things apart but not so good at getting them back together .

Any other suggetions on what to check? I did look through the newbie page. I have spark, fuel to the carb, ? fuel to the cyclinder. 1&2 were dry 3&4 were wet..but it could have been from the goo on the plugs. I did clean the plugs when I checked for spark.

hank You,
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LEBeinhaur
10+ Years
10+ Years

backfire

Postby LEBeinhaur » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:11 pm

hey frydog,
Backfiring that hard seems like a timing issues or a real built up of gas,,but my guess in timing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:30 pm

First thing I'd do is put in new plugs. They are not that expensive, and you have eliminated a common problem. If that doesn't fix it, then start proper trouble shooting starting with Bigdogs comments
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”