Cleaning breather pipe assembly

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:28 am

John *.?-! once posted and said that the breather pipe assembly acted similar to a PCV valve on a car, in that it helped remove impurities from the air circulating in the breather and engine block. He also stated that if the breather pipe assembly were clogged that it could cause smoke from the exhaust and the oil filler cap area. So, how does one go about cleaning the breather pipe assembly? I'm able to see one end attaches near the valve tappet cover, but I haven't seen the other end dead ending just yet. I would expect you would have to remove the breather pipe assembly, and then maybe pour gas or something else in to help clean it out. Would it be possible to run a straightened out coat hanger through it to help?

Once again, thanks....I'm really learning a bunch!

Rick :o

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:49 am

Rick, the other end terminates at the air cleaner intake pipe assy. I would soak it in solvent and use low pressure air to clear it. I don't think you could get a wire through it with the way it is bent.

Yep....

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:21 pm

Thought so. Normal air compressor ok to use? Craftsman air compressor 6.5 hp. with air nozzle at my disposal.

Rick

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:40 pm

That'll do!

Thanks Bigdog....

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:42 pm

You're as good as gold.

Rick

Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:16 pm

A spray can of carb-cleaner worked good for me. Just stick the straw nozzle on the can in the pipe and spray away.

Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:48 pm

Rick:

I tried to clean Ellie's, soaked it in carb cleaner for days. Blew it out with the compressor as well. Unfortunately, didn't get all the garbage out. Had to buy some brake line to mount the oil pressure guage in the dash, so I got some extra - cost me like a buck or so, and just put a new on one. Worked wonders.

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:19 pm

Sunday, don't forget the fittings it attaches to at each end, they plug up too.

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:23 pm

Another good way to clean the stubborn crusty gung in any small pipe/tube is to use an old speedometer or tach cable in a hand drill and snake it through as you would on a plumbing pipe. :idea:

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm

Never thought of that JB :!: Now I will have a spare :!: