This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

53 farmall cub GRINDING PTO

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 53 farmall cub GRINDING PTO

Postby bob in CT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04 am

CPIII wrote:There are a few listed at the bottom of this page(JP, Ralph, TM Tractor). i have dealt with most and they are very professional and helpful.

Darn beat by Bob again!

Consensus is good! :D :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear you are getting the shaft :? . I just did that job in my 1950, but not because of the PTO, but to R&R the shaft to retrofit a sealed bearing. The shafts are induction hardened and are the inner race for the bearing that is located at the rear of the shaft. When the bearings fail, the shaft deteriorates as well. By turning down the shaft a few thou, you can fit a sealed bearing and still use a shaft that would be too damaged to use with an original roller bearing. Just something to be aware of if shopping for a used input shaft. Any with a bad bearing surface should cost a lot less but still could be used if you have access to machining. A tool post grinder would be the best way to machine the shaft because it is hardened, but we were able to turn it by taking very small bites per pass.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 am

Warr, to answer your question
is that how it's suppose to look? Also the transmissions shaft is toast.

Here's a pic from TM showing how the pto "clutch" should look

Also, if your tranny shaft end is toast, most likely the pin on the lever/shaft is worn and will need replaced

It's fairly easy to remove, now that the pto assembly is removed. Reach in and feel the pin for flats on the sides. If it's not perfectly round, I'd replace it to get max engagement of the pto "clutch" with your new tranny shaft :D

There'll be some other suggestions and cautions(installing front tranny seal backwards) once things start going back together.

Don't forget to wedge the front axle before splitting the cub. Safety first.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: N4K5N5
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Keadymen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 pm

I just had this problem with my 49 Cub, there is a fair amount of play between the engagement pin (16) and the lever (15) that combined with the bent pin I was able to get it running !

Just wondering if any of the Canadian members know where I can buy the lever and to I replace it from the back or down thru the top

Thanks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Personally I would just order it from Tom and Lynn at TM Tractor. They are closed though until July 5th ..

It is a good part according to Messicks - 07-13 DRIVE TRAIN, BELT PULLEY AND POWER TAKE-OFF
LEVER
LEVER AND SHAFT ASSY, power take-off shifter, units A, B and C
351287R11
1 Needed for Job
$58.10 Ships in :3-5 business days

So your local CaseIH dealer should be able to get it. Don't ask for them to special order it though, it will cost about double. Let them bring it in with their usual order - will be cheaper and will bypass the postal strike. Make sure you give your dealer the part number and the link to it in the on-line catalog ..

Does that help?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keadymen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks Rudi that's exactly what I'll do !

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 am

all great info.and right on. as the above pictures show the input shaft / driveshaft splines chewed up. this is cause as stated but I might add that over years of PTO use the splines get worn in a slight wedge shap. the wedge shape pointing tords the rear. Being that when the shifter coller is only inguaged slightly over 1/4 " when slid over the driveshaft splines under a load the coller is always trying to be pushed tords the rear. This puts excessive force on the shifter coller pin wearing it out. It would be wise to replace the driveshaft if it is showing anyting over a slight roundness of the spline ends. Also check the coller. I never saw a coller worn till today. I saw my first coller splines worn out. This is a first for me since over 35 years of rebuilding farmall cubs. It is very important that the pto bushing be in good sape as well as the PTO pilot shaft. Keep in mind that when all componets are in proper shape the shifter pin really only works hard when shifting it into gear.Very little force is needed to hold it inguaged. But still the original shifter pin is of hardened steel and the aftermarket pins are of soft steel. I learnded the hard way :oops: so I now drill out the original shifter pin ( 1/4 " ) then get a grade 8 or higher 1/4 bolt. insert into hole and tack weld on back. cut to lenght. will never wear out 8)
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keadymen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:06 pm

My 49 was doing the same thing, after looking into it I noticed the PTO shaft slides in and out, this is likely causing me some of the issue. What holds the shaft in place ? Just the shifter pin ?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:11 pm

On the early tractors the pto is held in place by staking the rear bearing to the shaft. The later tractors had a groove cut in the shaft and a snap ring keeps the bearing in the right place on the shaft which keeps the shaft from moving.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keadymen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks ! What would be the easiest way to figure out what I have ?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Pull it out and visually inspect it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keadymen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks again ! I took it all apart, is it safe to assume (I know I know) that the busing....Illustration Part number 3...IH part # IH360256 is what holds the PTO shaft in place ?

Does anyone know if the dealer will still carry this part ?

Keadymen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keadymen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:19 am

How would I go about staking the bearing to the shaft ?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:44 pm

With the bearing in place on the shaft use a center punch or small drift or pin punch to stake the shaft at the edge of the bearing. There are some pictures on TM's website.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gpt/ptoshaftcom_001.htm
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”