Mower Help

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:34 am

Okay, so I'm crusing along cutting my lawn with my two-day old cub and along with the blade knocking around I hear a "ping" and the blade pully goes south. I stop my new acquisition and find the pully a few feet behind me. I placed it back onto the shaft but I don't see any other hardware laying around that retains the pully onto the blade shaft.

What am I missing?

BTW, grass height was only a few inches. Are these things lightweight duty?



Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:41 am

Which mower do you have and are you talking about the pulley coming off the mower shaft or the pto pulley coming off the pto shaft?

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:57 am

It's the pully coming off the mower shaft on top of the mower deck. It's a single-belt mower which I guess makes it a Woods. It doesn't extend beyond the wheel base, though.

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:10 am

Sounds like a Woods 42" deck. The center of the spindle shaft should be tapped for a 3/8" bolt. The pulley goes on the shaft and is held by a 1 1/4" long bolt with a lock washer. The manuals for Woods mowers are on Rudi's site. If you haven't already bookmarked Rudi's site, you will want to. It is a real wealth of information.

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:15 am

You're a wealth of info too, Bigdog.

Thanks a load,


Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:24 am

Well, at closer examination it looks like there's a few springs, metal keys and a cap that goes on top of the pully before the bolt that is missing too. Sucker sheared the bolt right off so I gotta get an easy-out. Hope this isn't going to be a regular thing. :(


Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:31 am

Mike, good luck with the easy-out. You might try other means to remove the bolt. Easy-outs are notorious for not being easy outs. Depending on what you have available to work with you can try things like welding a nut to the sheared off bolt shaft or using a left-hand drill bit to get the bolt out.

Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:57 pm

Got around to taking some shots of the cub. Here's the mower where the pully came off. Not sure where I'm gonna find the missing springs and keys for the bottom of the pully though.


Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:53 pm

Those parts should be available from any Woods dealer.

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Is this a Model 42C Woods mower?

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:23 pm

After looking at the pictures on your other post, it appears to be a C 2 mower. Check this link:

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:23 pm

Looks just like my Danco C2

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 pm

Shucks, I just found parts for a Woods at, too, :x

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:55 pm

This looks to me like an IH model C-2 made by Danco.

I see a welder in the background in a picture on the other thread. You may be able to remove the broken cap screw by placing a nut over it and reaching into the nut with the welder to weld the broken screw to the nut.

If it is a C-2, there were 4 clutch springs (474031R1) each with a spring (474032R1) that fit into the bottom side of the sheave. These parts form an overrunning clutch for the deck. The cap on top of the sheave is 474034R91. Looks like all these parts are still available. The pins run $5+, the springs about $3 and the cap $17. Thos are about what Glade and Grove shows on their web site, which looks close to CaseIH suggested retail. You may want to go back to where it fell apart and do a little looking.

By the way, the capscrew is 3/8-16 x 1-1/4 and I think I would use at least grade 5.

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:58 pm

Can you borrow a metal detector. I always find drink pull tabs from years ago when they did not stay on the can.