This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:Enter Jim Becker's part numbers here http://casetractorparts.com/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W&Category_Code=CP
No it should not sound like that. Your spindle was loose.

How does one go about tightening the spindle?
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:33 pm

There is a nut under the part where the springs and paws go. I was able to peck with a small hammer the part you have on top now up till it came off. You can see the nut if you get down level with it.
Young man for work, old man for advice

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:42 pm

Thanks Jim, I'll give it an eyeball in the morning.
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:47 pm

I had one of those nylon tow straps on my Cub floor board and it fell off and wrapped around the spindle just under the pulley and my mower started shaking like the paint Shaker at the paint store. It had wrapped tight and loosen the nut.

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:53 pm

Mine sounded like someone was attacking it with a sludge hammer.

I think I'll just drop the mower and see what's going on underneath it. May as well sharpen the blades and clean it up while I'm at it.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:00 pm

Just see if you can tighten the nut under the part that is showing on top in your picture. Are just shake the spindle like you would the front wheel on a car when checking for loose wheel bearings. If its tight look at the blades. Maybe take off the swinging blade ends and weigh them when you sharpen them. Mine was very loose after the strap loosen it.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:49 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:I had one of those nylon tow straps on my Cub floor board and it fell off and wrapped around the spindle just under the pulley and my mower started shaking like the paint Shaker at the paint store. It had wrapped tight and loosen the nut.

I ran over a set of hedge trimmers with a Cub 127 and for a moment I thought the world had come to an end.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:01 pm

I ran over a set of hedge trimmers with a Cub 127 and for a moment I thought the world had come to an end.

LOL. I know what you mean...thought I was the Rider of the Apocalypse before the overrunning clutch went south.

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:03 pm

Will wonders never cease? I finially got around to using an Easyout to extract the sheared off overunning clutch pully bolt and wouldn't you know, it came out! I used a cobalt drill bit and got the Easyout started without a problem. After fighting an obstinate cotter pin while removing the starter switch earlier I really didn't think I'd have a chance with the bolt but out it came to my suprise.

Jim, the shaft has no play and the nut underneath the overunning clutch area is tight. I need to drop the mower now and see if I can find something wrong underneath.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:38 pm

Mike,

That's what E-Z outs can do... remove sheared bolts. Actually they are somewhat rare. The trouble comes from trying to remove bolts that have twisted off because they are stuck. Left hand drill bits work well for sheared ones too.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:23 pm

KYMike
Did you get your mower fixed??

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:28 pm

George, yeah, I was hoping it wasn't going to be a twisted bolt and seize on me but it came right out to my delight.

Jim, I haven't had a chance to tackle it yet since the weather got nasty for a few days but looks okay now. I did get all the parts so it shouldn't take that long to get it done (ha ha). My concern is what I find underneath it...I have no spindle play so I'm guessing there's a problem with the blades that caused all the racket before it threw the overrunning clutch. Hope to get to it tomorrow.

Thanks for asking.

Mike-

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:18 pm

Check for wear on the pins and the notches where they fit. The noise could have been the clutch slipping.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:34 pm

John, if the top bolt came loose would that explain the noise and bolt shearing off?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:03 pm

I've had no experience with that particular model, but assuming that bolt is all that holds the top part together, its loosening could have caused the noise (possible slipping) and the resultant repeated shock could have sheared it. After you get everything fixed and working correctly you may want to remove the bolt and put some Loctite on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”