This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Danco C-2 spindle replacement/rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lhfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201

Danco C-2 spindle replacement/rebuild

Postby lhfarm » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 am

Last fall, I managed to spin/mangle the top of the C-2 mower spindle, where the key fits. I checked with the local IH dealer and he told me the spindle would be around $400, so I picked up a Woods mower for less than that. Long story short, I miss the Danco mower and I want to rebuild it. I'm hoping you all may know of sources for all the parts I'll need at a more reasonable rate.

Second, I'm hoping someone can point me to a repair manual or instructions on replacing the spindle. I restore old Willys jeeps, so I have a fair number of tools, but also know what I don't know. I'm assuming I might want to replace the bearings while I have everything apart. Or maybe not. The spindle seems tight, but again, I don't know what it is going to take to get the spindle apart.

Any and all advice appreicated.

Thanks,
Barry
'64 Cub-Lo Boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Danco C-2 spindle replacement/rebuild

Postby bob in CT » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 am

I can email you the parts diagrams and parts lists. I have never seen a service manual. Just operating instructions, which are posted on the manual server (see link above) and the parts book. If you need parts, try posting a wanted ad in that section.

Welcome to the Forum

lhfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lhfarm » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 am

Bob in CT wrote:I can email you the parts diagrams and parts lists. I have never seen a service manual. Just operating instructions, which are posted on the manual server (see link above) and the parts book. If you need parts, try posting a wanted ad in that section.

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks for the welcome and the offer. I found a parts list and diagram here http://www.cngcoinc.com/home.asp along with a better price on the spindle. I've taken enough old stuff apart to know that I can do some additional damage without good instructions. But sounds like I may just have to give it a try.

Barry

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Would a C3 spindle fit? I have a couple of Danco 2587's Number is cast into the mounting plate. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:32 pm

While I have never used nor repaired a Danco mower, I suggest that disassembly efforts be directed toward doing as little additional damage as possible. If the pulley mounting portion is the only problem, building it up with MIG and turning back to original dimensions is relatively easy. Unless the spindle is a special alloy or is heat treated (which requires special alloys), the process should not weaken it enough to cause problems. A usable keyway can be machined on a vertical mill.
Last edited by Bus Driver on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck favors those who are prepared

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:43 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Would a C3 spindle fit? I have a couple of Danco 2587's Number is cast into the mounting plate. Ed

Different configuration, bearings, spindle, etc.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Not sure what exactly you need, but I will bet a C-2 spindle is much easier than a Woods 42 (got one in pieces ready to go back together).

All the drawings I have seen are impossible see clearly. The bearings and such are probably common, but generally I have found dealer pricing on them is comparable to a quality bearing supplier and you will get the right parts.

Go to http://www.messicks.com and parts, CaseIH parts and enter C-2 in the model search. They will list prices and availability.

Sure hope you don't need the spindle.... it's pricey!
SHAFT ASSY, spindle
474021R91
1 Needed for Job
$415.80 Avail in 3-5 business days
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Barry:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

I do not think there is a critter such as a service manual for mowers.. at least I haven't found one so far, and I have been looking for almost 10 years. As Bob mentioned the Owner's Manual and the Part's Catalog are on the server.

C-2 Rotary Mower 10-27-67 Owner's Manual and the Danco IH C-2 Parts Manual.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lhfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lhfarm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 am

Rudi wrote:Barry:

I do not think there is a critter such as a service manual for mowers.. at least I haven't found one so far, and I have been looking for almost 10 years. As Bob mentioned the Owner's Manual and the Part's Catalog are on the server.

C-2 Rotary Mower 10-27-67 Owner's Manual and the Danco IH C-2 Parts Manual.

I'm more concerned about hidden set screws, keys and pressed-parts so I don't destroy parts trying to get it apart. If I get started and get stuck, I'll yell. I may be a few weeks (since I have the woods mower) before I can get to this.

Thanks,
Barry

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 am

Not sure about the hidden set screws. I have only done minor things to mine, clean up the over-running clutch (simple, but watch the springs) and replace the blades (easier with the whole spindle out in my opinion). But it does seem considerably easier to work on than the Woods 42.

If you pull off the pulley and remove the 4 bolts that hold the spindle to the platform you can drop the whole assembly. Take pictures as you go.

If it comes to needing major parts you can sometimes find a mower cheaper.

Rudi, somewhere you have the 15 or so page parts list we copied at Staples (?). Same bad pictures. Not to complain, but you got a couple of photos in C-2 'parts list' page that are a Woods RM42-CF (never knew they existed till I went to Boss Hogs) and a belly mount 42 and looks like the parts listed are only for fast hitch mount stuff. I will see if I can get that parts list digitized or at least a copy to Bob (can he still scan??)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Larry:

I know he doesn't have access to the high speed but not sure if he has a flat bed or not. Either way, just stick it in the mail. I will look and see if I can find the RM 42 stuff.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

51Sinikka
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10940

Postby 51Sinikka » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 pm

bob in CT wrote:I can email you the parts diagrams and parts lists. I have never seen a service manual. Just operating instructions, which are posted on the manual server (see link above) and the parts book. If you need parts, try posting a wanted ad in that section.

Welcome to the Forum

Bob
Do you still have 2587 spindles or know where to get them from.
Let me know. 51Sinikka

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm

What is a 2587?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm

51Sinikka wrote:
bob in CT wrote:I can email you the parts diagrams and parts lists. I have never seen a service manual. Just operating instructions, which are posted on the manual server (see link above) and the parts book. If you need parts, try posting a wanted ad in that section.

Welcome to the Forum

Bob
Do you still have 2587 spindles or know where to get them from.
Let me know. 51Sinikka

It was not me that had them. Send a PM to ScottyD'sdad.
Welcome to the Forum!

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Would a C3 spindle fit? I have a couple of Danco 2587's Number is cast into the mounting plate. Ed

Return to “Farmall Cub”