This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 Cub Air Filter Assembly

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
motoman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06037

48 Cub Air Filter Assembly

Postby motoman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Hello,
Is there an easy way to remove the air filter assembly with out unbolting the bracket off the tractor? I just want to clean the air filter with kerosene, right? It is hard to tell from the manual. Finally got spark after doing a tune up and getting ready to start it up.

Thank you, John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 48 Cub Air Filter Assembly

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm

The short answer is no. Or if there is, I haven't found it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Those 2 little bolts are sometimes hard to get at. I'd pick up a can of Brake Kleen or somthing and spray it down on the tractor if cleaning is all you need.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

motoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby motoman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. Up until now, I thought my 07 caddy air box was tough to get at.

motoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby motoman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:46 pm

I give up. How do you get the air cleaner bracket off? I loosened the two 1/2 " bolts but the fan u bracket will not allow me to completely get them out. Even with a mini 1/4" socket drive and pretty shallow socket. I already have taken off the speed control rod and upper generator bracket. My next move is to take off the radiator hose that goes into the engine but do not want to because it looks nicely sealed. It seems like everything is in the way. I have tried all kinds of wrenches at all different positions. Is there some universal joint wratchet attachment out there that will work? I bet this poor designed set up discourages air cleaner maintenance (just venting).

John

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 pm

John is the hood off????
I just took one off 1 1/2 hours ago but the hood was off. all i used was a 1/2 OE/Box wrench.
plus the few ods and ends that need to come off.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

motoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby motoman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:37 pm

The hood is off. What odd and ends? I am a pretty decient motorcycle mechanic and never reall get stumped. I may be getting old but getting at these two bolts is pretty rediculous. Especially the lower one. If I remove the generator and radiator hose etc., It can be done but am surprised how difficult it is to get at these bolts. I think I am being stubborn because it is a lousy air cleaner. There is no room for box wrenches. Wih the amount of dirt that is on the air cleaner assembly, I believe it has never been cleaned. I do not want to follow suite, As I removed the dirt and grime, the yellow sticker and paint look pretty nice for 1948. I feel pretty foolish asking how to get this thing off with out major disassembly.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:43 am

As I recall it takes a lot of finger dexterity. If they are still turning too tight for removal by fingertips consider a 1/4" drive socket with one of those plastic thumbwheels for leverage.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”