This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Berlin's Bracing Installed Pics

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846
Circle of Safety: Y

Berlin's Bracing Installed Pics

Postby johnny j » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:47 am

I bought these from Berlin at boss hogs cub fest.
:) :{_}: :) :{_}:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Re: Berlin's Bracing Installed Pics

Postby Bezirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

Hello Johnnie:
They look good and I know they will give the support needede to relieve the stress on the engine. I will post pic's of mine when I get them installed. Hope to see you Carm's.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Looks to me like the slacker at KubKraft better get back to work before it's too late :D

Rick(KubKraft employee)
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rusty 2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: N0P1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 cub

Postby Rusty 2 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Where would I find a set of these
Are they aftermarket or were they available in the day

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah, I do wish that slacker would get busy.... I think those braces would be a necessary addition to the loader Cub when I get around to dragging it back home to paint it. Loader and fast hitch with a mower on rough terrain makes me a bit leery!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Rusty 2 wrote:Where would I find a set of these
Are they aftermarket or were they available in the day

Rusty:

These are definitely not CaseIH items at all and were never available at any point. Rick Prentice -- (KubKraft employee of the month) designed the prototypes a couple years ago. Berlin has had a few made up as well - similar principle.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Rusty 2

They are aftermarket. Send Berlin a pm and he can set you up with the details.

The side story here, if you are new, is Kubcraft(Rick) made some. A while back he put things on hold till he gets a new shop built. Berlin needed some, and had a friend make them up.

We all anxiously await the re-opening of Kubcraft.

jsharp1071
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08833
eBay ID: jsharpinnj
Tractors Owned: 1955 FCub
54 grader leveler
Fast Hitch
Platform carrier
Pennington 60'' mower
BF Plow
Johnny Bucket Loader

Postby jsharp1071 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:34 am

"Looks to me like the slacker at KubKraft better get back to work before it's too late

Rick(KubKraft employee)"

Please!

Best regards, Joe.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 am

To give credit where credit is due,
designed the prototypes a couple years ago.

Our very own "Lombard" designed the first type supports. We PM'd back and forth and I made some changes to his design and came up with the solid, adjustable ones.

Thank You Lombard,

Here's a link: http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=603 , and maybe Rudi can post Lombard's. I can't seem to find it. :shock:

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 02, 2010 9:08 am

Rick:

Lombard is gonna give me a smack :big shy:

I sometimes forget that Lombard created the first Broken Ear Repair, at least AFAIK.

When I think of the Ear Supports themselves, I automatically think of yours - being the prevention prototype. When it comes to fixing a broken ear.. Lombard always pops to the top of the list. I just re-read it again for the first time in a long time and I realize that Lombard\s can also be used in prevention mode.

It simply amazes me the fabrication geniuses that inhabit this community of ours :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun May 02, 2010 9:34 am

Can someone point me to the link that explains the engineering issues behind the need for this support? I'm new to the Cub world and if this is an inherent design weakness, I sure would want to fabricate a set of these for my Cub before I meet the fate of busted ears. Seems like a good insurance policy to me. Is the origninal design underbuilt or does the break occur with a loader or putting extra weight in some way on the front end? Thanks.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 am

The main reason I decided to make one that stiffens in both directions was after visiting a fellow that hit a tree(going forward) with the right front tire :shock: Usually the crack happens with a pulling motion of the cub, either wrapping a chain around the right front axle and tugging backwards, or pulling a stuck cub out of the mud and using the right front as the attach point, or having the cub's tire fall into a chuck hole. This cub that hit the tree snapped the ear backwards, clean off the engine, and also snapped the left side too. The front of the cub was laying on the ground, along with the backhalf. Fortunately the guy escapted injury to himself. That's when I decided to make something to stiffen in both directions. You can see in this pic from TM how the ears just hang out their by themselves. If you break the ears off, the cub is in 2 pieces :shock:
I've seen cracks repaired from any of the areas where you see a red line. Click the pic to enlarge:

cub ear.jpg

Rick

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 am

I also want to add that IH was on top of this issue of the broken ear problem. They made changes, a couple different times, to beef up that weak corner. The biggest chances of broken ears occurs with the early ones, '47,'48, etc. I'm not sure if Trents database has any info on the ear being beefed up, or with the serial number start/stop points.

Rick

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Hello Folks:
This is a rehash, but for those of you who didn't read it the first time, here goes. My 1949 Cub developed a break on the right side of the engine when I was plowing snow this winter. I had two of my friends that own a welding/fabrication shop design the braces. you can purchase both sides or just the right side as desired. I am not making any profit from these sales and shipping will be at my actual cost.I can supply ordering info if you PM me or phone me at 540 350 2324.

PS we now have orders for several sets.
Thanks, Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Return to “Farmall Cub”