What is a ledger plate for?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:30 pm

On Ebay someone is selling a box of NOS ledger plates (a rectangular piece of steel with two holes) and for the life of me I can't find it in a parts catalog or anywhere else. I'm thinking that since I don't know what it is, I probably need one or two!! Can anyone tell me where they go and what they're used for. Thanks. Bob

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:36 pm

Ledger plates are the bottom blade, if you will, for a sickle bar mower. They are attached (riveted) into the guards and are stationary. The sections on the sickle bar travel back and forth across them to provide the cutting action.

Ledger plates

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:47 pm

Thanks Bigdog, I'll have to take a look and see what the bottom of my, as yet unrebuilt, sickle mower looks like.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:40 pm

I saw those on E-bay also and they don't look like any thing i've seen on a cub anywhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Ledger plates are exactly what Bigdog said they are. As well as one on each guard, there is also one each on the inner and outer shoes. The ones on the guards have a sharp edge on each side. The ones on the shoes are each sharp on one side. The plates for sale in this eBay item fit the inner shoe.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:06 pm

Sorry about that Jim
I knew that they were called ledgers but I didnt realize the one on the inner shoe was that much different than the rest.