This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final drive won't slide in

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Final drive won't slide in

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:58 pm

Last week I took off the left final drive housing to work on the draw bar bolt holes. Today when I tried to reassemble, I can't get any closer than an inch from closure. I'm turning the axle shaft to get the splines to line up, with no luck. I do have it hanging from an engine hoist to keep it level. Do I want it in neutral, or in gear and crank a little to turn the gear in the transmission a little? I may just need a second pair of hands, but thought I'd ask for help first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:18 pm

I always left mine in neutral, but put the pto in gear so I could turn the differential with the pto pulley. If you are getting it within an inch I think the splines are starting. Is it possible the dowel pins are not quite lining up with the holes in the housing?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mike mix
10+ Years
10+ Years

Final drives

Postby mike mix » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:51 pm

Take two 3" long bolts & cut the heads off the bolts and thread them into the top and side of the transmission rear end housing. These will be used as guides for the final drives to slide into the proper location.They will also hold the final drive so you have a hand free to turn the axle hub to align the splines. Use never sieze on the axle spline end to help it slide into it's location. Good Luck Mike

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:04 pm

Check the pin for the brake band
Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Farmall Cub”