This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

So much for that idea

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

So much for that idea

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:56 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:As Eugene pointed out the I&T manual IH-8 (cub, A, B, C, H, etc.) calls for 13/16. The I&T manual IH-150 (cub and numbered lowboys) calls for 3/16, which is what the one I'm working on has.
Thanks

Shane (cub owners son) cmae over and helped me move my parts engine so I could check it. Valves were a little loose, but it was 15/16 inch lead, so I figured the 13/16 was correct. Pulled the front off, and broke my Harbor Freigth cheapie Gear puller. Going to make me one like Jim Beckers someday. Went to town and got a loner from Autozone. got everyting off, and indicatores were aligned. The parts tractor is a 49, the one I was working on is a 50 bt the tractor serial number, but couldn't read the engine number due to layers of paint. Wonder if there is a difference in camshafts.

Next problem after it is back together is to figure out the original problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

I love a good mystery

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:50 pm

Checking through several automechanics text books for lack of power.

1. Low compression 2. Weak, broken, worn rings 3. carbon deposits on valve seats. - not likely since the engine was "overhauled"

4. Spark plugs - faulty - wrong gap possibility.

5. Late ignition timing. Try rotating the mag - distributor to see if the power improves.

6. Fuel system.

7. Excessive play in distributor shaft - check for worn wires, cap etc.

8. Weak condensor. A possibility.

9. Faulty coil. Another possibility.

Since this tractor was lacking power when it came out of the shop after the overhaul - it's something that wouldn't normally be changed during an overhaul.

John: I think I would swap coils (or mags) with a known good one.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:27 pm

Thanks Eugene
New plugs, swapped carb with mine, good flow to carb. Static timed distributor (broken timing light). Coil is new.

When I get it back together I'm going to check valve settings and if that isn't it swap distributor with my converted mag.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Another thought

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:06 pm

Clogged exhaust system. Remove the muffler??????

Carboned up intake ports - but they should have been cleaned during the overhaul.

I'm talking to my self. If the advance mechnism in the distributor is not working - advancing the timing - power loss. Advance is supposed to start at 200 RPM.

I'm confident in your ability to solve the problem.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:40 am

Pulled the exhaust before I started seriously looking at valve timing.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:02 am

Big John" How ya doing? To the best of my knollege the Cams didn't change till the 60's so ya should be in good shape there. I would lap the valves as long as you have it appart. That would be my guess. I've seen so many so called overhalls, that have had rings and bearings done and no valve job because they look good. The added compreshon with the new rings causes them to leak by and consaquently a loss of power. Just my guess" PS. Haven't got to far with the tork tube you gave me, but working on it. Will keep "U" up dated." Jack" :roll:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

So much for that idea

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:56 am

John:

Have you discovered the cause of the problems with the neighbor's Cub?

What is the belt you are wearing in the photo - golden gloves?

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:30 am

Between the hail storm and my health I haven't done anything more. Hope to investigate further next week.

Re> the belt, I haven't the faintest idea. It's my head, but not my body. My body looks better, yeah right. That was doen as a joke by one of the members, and I adopted it as my avatar.

Return to “Farmall Cub”