This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chasing threads on the cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Chasing threads on the cub

Postby WJ » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:32 pm

I am wanting to chase the threads on my cub as it take things apart. What sizes will I need??

Thanks for any help.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:55 pm

They are all inch sizes no metric. There are a number of sizes. Most are Course thread(NC) Some are fine thread (NF). Where bolts are exposed to the weather and rusted, you may have some sticking past the nut. In these cases I find many times that I can start a die back wards and clean the threads so that when the nut stars coming off it doesn't jam on rust. At other times i find that if I losten and tighten and relossen it helps too. Rust is damaging to taps and dies. Someone told me that it is harder than steel. Don't forget that there are grades of bolts. There are markins on the head of the bolt that indicate the gradewhich is really the strength.
I keep an old cheap set of taps and dies that I use for chasing out old fasteners.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:59 pm

Thanks Bill.

I am using the original dot bolts in my restoration. What grade are these??

Thanks again.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Tap and die sets

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:30 am

New tap and die sets are fairly expensive - at least the quality ones are. If you look around at auctions you will frequently find sets and they usually sell for a few dollars. Even with a complete set you will probably have to purchase single taps from the hardware store.

What size do you need. Good question - no answer. The last tap I purchased was a 3/8" pipe thread to clean up the threads in the Cub's gas tank. ????

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:04 pm

i really don't know but the ones holding sheet metal together are probably grade 2 is all that I can say with any certainty. Uring the origionals can't you into trouble. If the were good for 50 years, whats another 50.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:18 pm

beaconlight wrote: Uring the origionals can't you into trouble. If the were good for 50 years, whats another 50.
Bill

That was my theory. I have been saving bolts from the last three tractors I parted out. So I should have plenty of good ones. :wink:

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cheap thread chaseing sets

Postby rvbarkley » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:56 am

For chaseing threads you can buy a thread chaseing set that contains both fine and standard taps and dies for 30 to 40 dollars from places like Harbor Frieght, even Sears. Very handy to have a complete set when doing a rebuild, etc. These sets are for just chaseing threads though, they are not for cutting new threads.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:34 am

:idea: I bought this 40-piece set about a year ago for $12.99 which is on sale now for $9.99 at harbor-freight and I have used it with no problems as of YET for mostly chasing threads. I have also used it for tapping new threads. I figured for the price I couldn`t lose much if it turned out to be junk. If this URL dont work for the Tap&Die page, Then type in (39391) in there item number search box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/C ... DIE%20SETS
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”