This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1947 Cub 6 Volt and 12 Volt Quandary

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: 1947 Cub 6 Volt and 12 Volt Quandary

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I went searching for an IC10SB in the archives and found this post.. for the NAPA coils.

Subject: coil with internal resistor??

Rudi wrote:I know we had discussed these coils before in another thread. Just searched and found itin the Pertoronics thread..

Here are the NAPA coils that they have available. Echilin is top end, MPE is the NAPA house brand.

Subject: Pertronix electronic ignition

Rudi wrote:Eugene:

Eugene wrote:Ask the counter person to see their "Engine Management Illustrated Parts Guide catalog. In my old catalog pages 73 - 94 list different coils. Pages 95 - 97 is an ignition coil usage chart.

I will have to see if I can get a copy of one of their old catalogs next time I go up. But maybe scans of the pages you have might be an option :?: :?: :D

This is what I have found so far after searching the NAPA PartsPro Search Engine.. Oh I like this part of the NAPA site.. :D :{_}: the other one just is such a :censored: PITB :(

NAPAonline.com wrote:
    6 Volt Coils - Require External Resistor For 12 Volt Systems

• Part: ECH IC7 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price:$51.49
    Part: MPE IC7SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $18.29
  • Part: ECH IC10 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $49.99 Each
    Part: MPE IC10SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $17.69
  • Part: ECH IC12 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $45.49 Each
    Part: MPE IC12SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $16.69 Each
  • Part: ECH IC64 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $35.99 Each
    Part: MPE IC64SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $ 26.99 Each
  • Part: ECH IC676 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $58.99 Each

12 Volt Coils

• Part: ECH IC14 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $51.49 Each
    Part: MPE IC14SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $18.69 Each No External Resistor Required.
  • Part: ECH IC21 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $42.99 Each Indicated 12 volts, does not indicate if External Resistor is Required.
    Part: MPE IC21SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $17.29 Each Indicated 12 volts, does not indicate if External Resistor is Required.
  • Part: ECH IC27 Product Line: Echlin Ignition Price: $54.49 Each Indicated 12 volts, does not indicate if External Resistor is Required.
    Part: MPE IC27SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $12.79 Each Indicated 12 volts, does not indicate if External Resistor is Required.
  • Part: MPE IC277SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Price: $13.99 Each No External Resistor Required

Would this list be essentially correct :?:

There are a number of others, but these would seem to be the most likely tu be useful for our Cubs at least to my mind.

David, I agree ... I like the old timer parts guys. Most of them have forgotten more than a lot of the new ones will ever know. I have an AC-Delco guy that I to check a starter for a local Cub owner and a genny for me. He just has to look at a Cub starter or genny and he can rattle off all the parts that can go wrong. So far he has been bang on...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks again for the responses guys. I read every one and gave it some thought, and this afternoon I made my decision. I went and bought a 6-volt battery. I put the new battery on and gave it a shot. The starter turned more slowly than before (obviously), but after about two or three revolutions she fired up beautifully.

Some of the other odd symptoms went away as well. With the 12-volt battery, the coil would heat up very quickly. After I changed to the 6-volt battery, I ran the tractor for about ten minutes or so, and the coil never got hot like before. This leads me to believe it was a 6-volt coil. Also, with the 12-volt battery, the light switch (4-position) would sometimes put off a small puff of smoke after a couple minutes of running. After changing to the 6-volt battery, there's no smoke or evidence of any type of overload, and the switch still seems to work correctly.

I've experienced the 6-volt woes on some of the larger tractors I've had in the past, so I understand the value of a 12-volt system. However, in this case I wanted the cub to remain as original as possible. If slow starting becomes a problem in the future, I may opt for the alternator and the 12-volt setup. But for now, I couldn't be happier :-)

Thanks for all of your valuable input. I wish I'd hooked up with you guys about 3 years ago when I started this project.

Jamie

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Jamie:

Glad you got the gremlins figured out. Judging by the last post.. the 12 volt battery was just popped in by the PO without doing anything else. The real secret to a 6 volt system .. I guess any system really is to keep it maintained. In this case.. make sure that grounds are always good clean and bright, the battery terminals have no corrosion on them etc., Make sure that the proper gauge cable is used from battery to starter and things like that. A well maintained 6 volt system is as reliable as any 12 volt system. Winter or summer my Cubs always start when they need to (well Granny gets a break cause I only start her occasionally :lol: )
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Jamie - glad to hear that a battery was all it took. As Rudi said, as long as you keep everything maintained, there is nothing wrong with a 6v system.

We wish we'd met you three years ago, too! But glad you showed up, and don't be a stranger. The group here is wonderful and has helped me more than I can say.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”