This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Blade advice

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blade advice

Postby Slappy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:45 am

It's no suprise to any of you how versatile a Cub can be. My wife has fallen in love with our '57 Cub and uses it all the time for mowing, light disking, and lately for pulling debris from Hurricane Ivan to the burn pile.

Now we are getting ready for a new project and would like to find a blade for leveling the floor in our barn and perhaps for light landscaping work (sandy soil nothing heavy). I do have touch control hydraulics on the tractor.

I have been reading posts on blade models and types and I was hoping to solicit some opinions from the group. What do you think would be my best option or options based on availability, ease of connection, and versatility? Price should be a consideration but wouldn't be at the top of the list. Also any suggestions on where to look this equipment are appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:38 am

Slappy. I don't know of too many implements that are "QUICK & EASY" to change on a cub - Unless you find a rear scraper blade for a fast hitch that would work. Otherwise, the 54 series blades could be mounted in the belly position and you can use it like a grader. Should work fine with what you would like to do and more (especially in sand). The blade can be tilted to dig deeper when mounted in the front position, also.
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:05 am

The 54A is the latest model, and incorporates the improvements, but any of them would be suitable for your needs. They all mount the same, and as Ron L said, none of them are Quick and easy. If you eiher buy or make an alternate drawbar, you can leave your factory drawbar in position for pulling and hauling.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:54 am

Slappy:

John and Ron are right on the money. Nothing is quick and easy unless you have a fast hitch setup. Even then, the Cub-54 series blades are still going to take a little time to hook up as they do not use fast hitch technology.

Do yourself a favour though. Actually get an original of the 54 series. As you can see on the server under Implement and Part Sketches, home brews can be made for just about anything. Take my Snow Plow for example - good idea, plows snow real good, but is totally useless for grading. In fact, as is it is even limited as to what it can do plowing snow.

Boy will I be glad to get my Cub-54 Blade ready this month. Sometimes compromising is required until the right stuff comes along.

Now, here is the GOOD PART!

My wife has fallen in love with our '57 Cub and uses it all the time for mowing, light disking, and lately for pulling debris from Hurricane Ivan to the burn pile.

Momma is in love with your Cub :!: :D

This is a VERY GOOD THING :!: :idea: :idea: :lol:

This should be an easy excercise to convince her that you absolutely need another Cub just for the Cub-54 Blade setup :!: :!: :!:

That way, you can leave the blade in-situ and still have the other Cub to do the odd jobs and chores around the yard.

Next, convince her that you need a Lo-boy with a good finish deck to do the mowing, and of course another Cub to handle the Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower chores.

Oh, lets see :?: Wherecan we go from here. Up to 4 already and I know that there must be other dedicated chores we can think up if we put our collective heads together :!: :!: :D :lol:

Women are not the only ones who can use reverse pyshcology (??) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:16 am

No problems with convincing my bride on the necessity for the blade - she is the one who "discovered" the Cub sitting neglected in the farmers pasture a couple of years ago. God Bless her, she really does sometimes listen to the stream of tractor babble that comes out of my mouth. You will remember our Cub as Timex, winner of last year's ugliest working Cub contest. One of the reasons Timex isn't getting any more pretty is that Ame won't let me take her out of service.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:24 am

And there is another reason for Cub number 2 :!: :idea: :!: :D :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:37 am

Slappy:

Don't know where you are in the US, but here are a couple that are available:

This one has the Cub-54 Blade as well as 7 other implements - enough for at least a couple more Cubs for the stable :!: :lol:

1950 Cub and Implements

It is a bit on the expensive side, but with all the implements and that it is running and in pretty good shape would make this a good deal I would think.

This one is a LOT cheaper, but I think this is the second go-around for this particular tractor. Also it is stuck. It does have the front tool bars though.

1949 Cub with Stuck Engine

As you can probably tell, I am sort of stuck in the house with no life at the moment. Have started new meds regimen and it isn't exactly agreeing with me at the moment, so lots of time to surf......

Maybe I might start playing with the manuals again :roll: :D

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:48 pm

As GW sez, "One Cub per implement so you don't have to wrestle with changing them."

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:18 am

Hey Slappy,

Funny you should be inquiring about a grader blade. I have one :o My father-in-law made it so it goes with my cub. Problem is, I'm not sure how to attach it yet (have to go to the server and look at the "sketches") nor am I positive that I have all the necessary hardware.

But, we may be able to help each other out as I was just thinking about getting it all together to place on my cub. Point is, I'll be more than happy, Slappy (I just had to say that) to share the blade with you.

Come on over and take a look......we still need to get together anyway. Look forward to hearing from you :P
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:59 am

Thanks Kirk, I'll swing by WM and see if I can catch you in on Friday afternoon.

TBAR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TBAR » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:31 pm

Picture of my dad a quarter century ago working with the blade. Looking at these old pictures it is hard to believe he has been gone for almost 10 years.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/155 ... 3737mwWUnn

http://community.webshots.com/photo/155 ... 3960USaabQ

TBAR
IH2444 & 1949 Farmall Cub

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:22 pm

Great shots TBAR. Sound like you have many wonderful memories of your dad.

Return to “Farmall Cub”