This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Headlights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Headlights

Postby Soldner » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:29 am

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question. When i was home last weekend, i had been looking around the shop, and found some old john deere headlights that were tear drop shaped just like the Cubs. Are these the same headlights as the cub!? Thanks for everyone's time!

Soldner

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:37 am

I believe IH made all its own parts, so I doubt they would be exactly the same. Might want to ask George or Jim, they forgot more than I will ever know.
Always try the easiest thing first.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:38 am

Can't tell you about those specific ones, but many tractor manufacturers used the same light at that time. Be sure you get all the green off before you use them though or your cub may only run on 2 cylinders.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:42 am

I believe some of the sub-assemblies such as lights were purchased from outside vendors. I don't know if this was done all of the time or at what time it would have started. I'm sure Jim Becker will have info on this.

Just scrape that ugly green paint off of them first!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:47 am

Only reason I thought they did was because my 48 has the IH stamp on the mount, but I guess the vendor could have put that on.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:07 am

According to everything I have read, the lights (teardrop) used by IH were made by Guide. The casings/bodys of the lights were painted black by Guide because they were used by many tractor manufacturers. The ones IH used got painted red when the tractors were painted. I am not sure what color the Deere guys painted their's.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:27 pm

Thanks Everyone,
I will make a closer inspection when i get home next weekend. I attend college just over a 100 miles away from my home and the cub, so I have to wait two weeks before i can go home and make sure the lights are identical. (dont worry i wouldn't let any green paint get on that pretty little red machine).. Well its not pretty and red yet! I'm getting there. Thanks for everyone being so helpful!

Soldner

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:38 pm

IH and Deere both bought lights from Guide (Delco/GM). Black was (and still continues to be) a standard Delco color. That is why replacement/rebuilt lights, generators, regulators and starters tend(ed) to be black.

The same basic lights were used in a lot of places. It is possible that different variations may have been used by different companies (e.g. various styles of rear combinatin lights). But if two lights look nearly the same, they are probably identical.

IH did eventually get Guide to paint them red instead of black. But in the early days of the letter series tractors, they turned red when the tractor was painted.

Wireharness
10+ Years
10+ Years

Head Lights

Postby Wireharness » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:08 am

IH used both Guide and Dietz headlights. More Guide than Dietz

Return to “Farmall Cub”