Cub, medium well !

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:08 pm

A friend heard I was into cubs and asked me to stop by and see if anything could be salvaged from one he brought home a while back.
I don't know the history behind the fire but when he said it has weights my ears perked up.
It's an early model, the front axle tube (middle) is split from the heat. Bolster looks good but could be warped. :roll:
Engine block has the ear welded, the gas tank got so hot it has expanded about 1/4" all over.
I see a rockshaft and 3 rims don't look to bad but it's hard to tell until their off.
I'll run across him again sometime soon and see what kind of deal we can work out.

Re: Cub, medium well !

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Yogie, with your determination, I'd be willing to bet you get that one and have it looking like new in no time. Good luck with your negotiations. I hope you get it.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Yogie, I bought a burnt Cub about 3 years ago for $100. It had a fast hitch on it. All four rims were flat on the bottom. The tires, radiator, carb and mag had melted into little puddles. This morning I finally got the steering shaft out of the bolster. Just be aware that the engine and transmission are probably shot, and the rear finals and bolster may take a lot of work to get them apart. I haven't gotten a final completely apart yet. But I guess I'll keep trying. :D Good luck with the negotiations. Take the Boss with you, he'll end up getting the guy to pay you to haul it off!

Bob

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Bob with the exception of the weights you would have to pay me to bring it home :lol: , I have bought 4 burnt cubs :wink:

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:49 pm

It still has some paint that didn't burn off. I suspect most of it didn't get all that hot. Rust from sitting out after the protective coating of grease burned off probably did more damage than the fire.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Jim Becker wrote:It still has some paint that didn't burn off. I suspect most of it didn't get all that hot. Rust from sitting out after the protective coating of grease burned off probably did more damage than the fire.

That's what shocked me about the rear wheels. They look to be good and straight as far as I can tell, The tires couldn't have burned all the way off and not had a major melt down...

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Looks like there are a lot of usable parts on that thar Krispy Kub :!: The weights alone make it worthwhile to acquire.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 am

Looks like the ultimate "before & after" project !! If anyone can rescue it, my vote goes to Yogie. Craig

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Was that fire cause by the notorius rubber fuel line? :o

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 pm

RedNeckSuperC wrote:Was that fire cause by the notorius rubber fuel line? :o

Could be. If there had been a steel one, it would probably still be hanging there with a gob of melted carburetor still stuck on the end (like the gobs hanging on the manifold).

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I am surprised that no one else saw another valuable part on this cub lol. There is a pulley for a sickle bar mower that looks like it is in good shape.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 am

I bought one last year, and am salvaging parts, as I need them. The bulged fuel tank, and hood, are "on loan", on my loader lo-boy, while I clean the rust and sealer remnants, from the original one. Ed

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 am

Rudi wrote:Looks like there are a lot of usable parts on that thar Krispy Kub :!: The weights alone make it worthwhile to acquire.

I agree. Depending on how deep the rust has pitted the metal will determine what parts are still usable. But there's a toolbox, steering wheel, seat, weights and fenders that all may be salvageable. :)